Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pesticide poisoning - risk to honey  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
Pesticide poisoning - risk to honey
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:53:59 am »
Hi,
I have a strong hive in a city location that seems to have suddenly reduced the activity visible at the front of the hive. There is also a larger than usual amount of dead bees near the hive, and from what I can tell (I'm only a second year beek), the hive has not swarmed - it was still pretty busy when I opened it up today. Seeing as the bees could visit many thousands of individual gardens, my theory is that there has been a pesticide poisoning incident. The other three hives in same location are fine. This hive has an almost full box of honey I was planning on taking and extracting in the next day or two.

Is there any risk that pesticide could have contaminated the honey? I have pregnant relatives and young child, so want to be certain if at all possible before I go handing out the finished product.

Thanks,
John (Where it is late Spring in Southern hemisphere).

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: Pesticide poisoning - risk to honey
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
G'day Mate!!!

If in doubt..save it for the Bees...also never feed honey to infants...but I'm guessing you know that..you ozzies are smart!
Oh..and Bob's your Uncle!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:06 am »
Thanks mate! I didn't know that "Bob's your Uncle" was an Aussie term - it's amazing what I am learning on this site!

An update - I was totally wrong on the pesticide theory, looks like a newbee mistake (some would claim I have a kangraoo loose in the top paddock!). Today the hive swarmed. So the lack of activity and the hive being full of bees should have tipped me off when I recently opened it. I didn't se swarm cells at the time, but I didn't go over every frame.

The good news is, I caught my first ever swarm, it was a really fun experience. Put a queen excluder above the bottom board, and after the first few hours, looks like they are staying. They are only a relatively small swarm I think.

All good news so far, but I'm nervous about the main hive that issued this swarm - will there be more swarms leaving? Any tips on what to do next?

Cheers,
John.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:01:46 am »
>All good news so far, but I'm nervous about the main hive that issued this swarm - will there be more swarms leaving?

Maybe.

> Any tips on what to do next?

Open up the brood nest.  Put some empty frames or empty drawn combs in the brood nest.  (just one or two in each brood box will do).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:57:38 am »
Thanks Michael, I still have a lot to learn about secondary swarms. I'll definitely open the brood nest - should I also remove most of the swarm cells as insurance?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:33:20 pm »
>Thanks Michael, I still have a lot to learn about secondary swarms. I'll definitely open the brood nest - should I also remove most of the swarm cells as insurance?

Definitely not.  That way lies queelessness...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 11:39:54 pm »
Noted Michael, thanks, and once again I am finding great information on your web site, it's something I visit often.

Regards,
John.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:01 pm »
Hello Koala John,

My father had a couple of hives at home in Moonee Ponds and at Kinglake.  One day after he finished beekeeping due to too many neighbours complaining, a swarm stayed around the oak tree all afternoon then landed in an empty hive underneath it, so he kept bees again until the complaints started again.

I can't help you with the swarm side of things..I'm only a first year...but I'm sure I'll have that to look forward to.

Lone

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »
Welcome Lone, good to have another Aussie on board!

Yes the neighbours are a really big concern for me too, all hell broke loose when the last hive swarmed. It was only a little swarm, but you'd think the Russians had invaded there was so much commotion! Because I am so new at this, and also because the season has been so good, the hives are out of control and I am working out how to move most of them back up to the country. It's nerve wracking stuff!!

Best of luck with your first year.

Regards,
John.

anything