Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Three queens did not return  (Read 1393 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Three queens did not return
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »
I had three hives to swarm this year. The queen cells hatched but somehow they never returned. I did not keep a check on them as I should have and they all three turned into laying worker hives. I shook them out yesterday and put the boxes on three other strong hives that were ready for more room. When she starts laying in the top box I will probably split them off.

Anyone else have problems with the queen not returning from her mating flight?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Three queens did not return
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:10:09 pm »
Steve,
You are not alone. I have 6 new/old hives that ended up queenless. Some of them I found and marked the new queens and they never made it back from their maiden flights. At the last club meeting I talked to 2 other people here that had the same problem with several new hives. I am not expecting a lot of honey because of it this year. I have put several hives together this year because of losing queens.
I have a lot of dragonflies and this year I am seeing, for the first time, bluebirds. Both of which love them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:50:10 pm »
happens.  sucks.  here, it's the darn swallows.  they just live in the air outside my hives. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »
I had two early supersedures that I feel should be laying anytime. As of yesterday no eggs yet. I have six more making their mating flights this week.

Always a nervous time but I know some will make it.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »
so far i've had 100 percent return this year but last year the majority didn't make it back or never mated due to weather. 

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:41 pm »
My honey production is not what it should be either.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »
mine is better than last year but the flow was only intense for a few days at a time a couple of times.  having no drawn comb was my big set back.  all the honey looks like privet with some clover mixed in.  really light, really sweet but not my favorite. 

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:08 pm »
Had virgin queens fail in two hives this year, too.... And I found dragonflies terrorizing two of my hives (both of these are new hives with mated queens, so the queens are safe from Dragon Fs) a couple of days ago.. made me so mad that I managed to smack about 5 to the ground with my hat and stomp them..

p.s. I HATE laying workers.   :-x
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:42:31 pm »
Hi Guys: I think I have a same situation ,I checked the hive a week ago and no eggs and lots of bees.I had a  swarm earlier and recaptured them and put them in a box not knowing the other hive had no Queen.I opened them up today and brood cells were clean no eggs and bees making honey in brood area.
Question can put the swarm above them  use the screen wire instead of newspaper and leave them a few days and them remove the wire and they be united in peace?Thanks,Bill

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:02 pm »
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just re-unite the swarm and old queen with the half left behind and put them in the same hardware? I'm curious to see if anyone on here has tried this. I have a feeling that it would be successful.. I think you would up your odds of it working if you re-locate the whole colony several miles away from the spot that they swarmed from. :)
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.