Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm question  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Swarm question
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:45 pm »
If a swarm of bees goes into a dead out hive with dead bees in the cells will the bees clean them out?
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Swarm question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:59:19 pm »
I would say yes. I also have put cleaned up frames with wax moth damage in the hives and they have it cleaned up and laying in them within a week.

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:17:51 pm »
Last year I had a deadout- I set it back in the woods to deal with at another time (procrastination is my  middle name). It was robbed very badly and the remaining bees starved- yes, many dead bees- heads in the cells ect.

A couple months later (well, ok, I had forgotten about it) I stumbled across it...and it was booming! A swarm had moved in and was really going to town. I inspected it and it was clean. Turned out to be a great producer..in fact, one of my best last year; an amazing thing since it was a first season swarm. Hive is still going gang-busters now, even in winter.  So, yes, they will clean up the mess.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:42:57 pm »
Yes.  I have had them propolize a few of them, but mostly they clean them out.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin