Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More than Honey  (Read 2231 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
More than Honey
« on: December 24, 2013, 10:32:24 am »
More than Honey!
For those of you that have Netflix, a bee movie to watch.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/More_Than_Honey/70275188?trkid=13462100

Offline rick42_98

• New Bee
Re: More than Honey
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:36 am »
I saw the movie last night.  Depressing, at least to me.  As a backyard beek I treat my bees much gentler than a commercial migratory beekeeper.  It was heartbreaking to see his losses.  There was a guy in the Swiss Alps who had AFB in one of his hives and he had to kill the bees and burn the equipment.  He was crying as the fire burned.  So sad.  Excellent cinematography and good narration.  Worth seeing for any beekeeper and even general public.  Just depressing.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »
I just added the movie to my list and it showed I'll have a long wait before it's available.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:37 pm »
Its also available to rent or buy at Amazon

Offline matthewstiles

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 12:22:06 am »
Thanks tefer, was a good watch.

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:37 am »
I watched this movie and felt really sad for the bees. They went through all those gruesome experiences. The movie is really worth watching.  :pop:
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:51 am »
I love how the scientists showed the bees are capable of decision making and then the moron in California for the almond pollination says bees are tough but not very smart. Also that the almond grower says he doesn't see any reason why monoculture (my word not his) of his almonds won't sustain itself over the long term.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:08 pm »
Enjoy the movie.  The Einstein quote one the advertisement is nothing he ever said though.  Again, enjoy the movie but don't propagate the Einstein quote lie.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/bees.asp
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Moots

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:55 pm »
I saw the movie last night.  Depressing, at least to me.  As a backyard beek I treat my bees much gentler than a commercial migratory beekeeper.  It was heartbreaking to see his losses.  There was a guy in the Swiss Alps who had AFB in one of his hives and he had to kill the bees and burn the equipment.  He was crying as the fire burned.  So sad.  Excellent cinematography and good narration.  Worth seeing for any beekeeper and even general public.  Just depressing.

Rick,
I was at the ABF conference earlier this month in Baton Rouge, one of the gentleman in one of the sessions I sat in on referenced the movie and the piece of equipment you are referring to...He was interviewed in the movie and actually helped build the contraption.  He stated that they no longer use it and it is actually difficult to watch, he advised they are trying to return to the more traditional "bee friendly" way of doing things.  :-D