Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Trap Study Results  (Read 101760 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarm Trap Study Results
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »
I put out 12 swarm traps this year. Some with lures, some with Lemon Grass Oil. Large ones, smaller ones. Some high, some low. Result - nil!

Last year I had the same result but the year before I had a better response.

My observations: I did pick-up about 20 swarms and about 60% stayed. Lemon Grass in the box definitely helps. It is possible that by collecting the swarms after they settled they never had a chance to make a trap their home.
I will keep trying again next swarm season BUT will also do my splits earlier to reduce the number of swarms.

Offline jpmeir

• New Bee
  • Yesterday was the only easy day
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
Do you place swarm traps near your hives, 100 ft, as a preventive measure?  Is this an a best pratice for bee geeks? I'm new and in my second year. This year I"m going to try to catch swarms by placing them in areas where GF and I have seen bees on our land, but JP recomended way back in 07 to leave a trap about 100ft from hives. 

Moots

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »
Do you place swarm traps near your hives, 100 ft, as a preventive measure?  Is this an a best pratice for bee geeks? I'm new and in my second year. This year I"m going to try to catch swarms by placing them in areas where GF and I have seen bees on our land, but JP recomended way back in 07 to leave a trap about 100ft from hives. 

I think the thought process is that bee yards tend to attract bees, therefore, it's a good location.  You also have a chance of catching one of your own hives swarming...Sort of a win/win situation.  Since a swarm trap does't encourage swarming, yet merely offers a home to an existing swarm, there's no real downside.

That's my understanding at least.

Offline jpmeir

• New Bee
  • Yesterday was the only easy day
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:20 pm »
That makes sense, thanks for the input

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
JP JP JP JP, I WAS YOU TUBING THIS MORNING....TYPED IN HIVING A SWARM, I THINK.......THERE WAS JP....JP.....OMG,,,,JP......BUSY MAN. LOOKED AT A BUNCH OF EM....COULDN'T HARDLY STOP...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!

Moots

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:40 am »
JP JP JP JP, I WAS YOU TUBING THIS MORNING....TYPED IN HIVING A SWARM, I THINK.......THERE WAS JP....JP.....OMG,,,,JP......BUSY MAN. LOOKED AT A BUNCH OF EM....COULDN'T HARDLY STOP...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!

They don't call him "the bee man" for nothing... :-D

I've watched quite a few myself, I need to find more time to watch more of them...Always well done and entertaining.

anything