Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee all hunched up  (Read 2649 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Bee all hunched up
« on: November 24, 2005, 05:25:18 am »
Hi and wishing all celebrating a Happy Thanksgiving.

I have noticed, at times, a bee whether around the yard or one time in my hive, on top of frame, is hunched up like an upside down U.  They seem listless and unable to fly.  When I pick them up there is no reaction.  I have not seen any signs of disentery and the hive looked fine, when I found the one on a frame.  

I guess another discription would be that they were trying to sting something and their body locked in that position.  Should I worry?  I've seen only about five or six like this in the past couple months.  Two were in the past week in the yard (not bee) and they were not my bees.  Thanks in advance for your insight.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
Re: Bee all hunched up
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 08:32:55 pm »
Quote from: qa33010
Hi and wishing all celebrating a Happy Thanksgiving.

I have noticed, at times, a bee whether around the yard or one time in my hive, on top of frame, is hunched up like an upside down U.  They seem listless and unable to fly.  When I pick them up there is no reaction.  I have not seen any signs of disentery and the hive looked fine, when I found the one on a frame.  

I guess another discription would be that they were trying to sting something and their body locked in that position.  Should I worry?  I've seen only about five or six like this in the past couple months.  Two were in the past week in the yard (not bee) and they were not my bees.  Thanks in advance for your insight.

David
 " David "   If you don't have a varoa mite problem and no fecal streaking on the outside of the hive you may have a tracheal mite problem.   However tracheal mites usually start to affect the bees in the winter to early spring.  Bees with tracheal mites have some of the same symptoms you have described.  cef

anything