Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well one item is off the list  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
Well one item is off the list
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »
As a soon to be beekeeper, I was wondering if I was still ok getting stung, I have been stung dozens of times over the years, but not in about 15 or so. That changed today, the lawn is mostly brown and crackly, but the clover persists, and the bees are all over it. I don't think I've worn shoes since April first and today, I got a bee between the toes. No biggy, and no reaction, hope it stays that way.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Well one item is off the list
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »
You're a man now.           Just wait until you get one up the shorts or in your shirt or even worst, in your veil.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »
I don't ever plan on being in shorts, at least as of right now. I have thought about one getting in the veil during an inspection, and aside from the comical what ifs...every episode I thought of didn't end well for me. Oh well, if I was afraid of being stung, I probably wouldn't be interested in doing this. Still though, kind of gives you a start for a second. :-D
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:09:21 am »
I finally got my first sting. My goodness, there are a lot of nerve endings in the human fingertip!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:18:18 am »
FYI -
The way things often happen are that the first few stings won't react much.

The next 400 will progressively swell worse and worse (and itch) and then start to get better.

After that it won't be so bad.

-rick
Rick

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:07 am »
FYI -
The way things often happen are that the first few stings won't react much.

The next 400 will progressively swell worse and worse (and itch) and then start to get better.

After that it won't be so bad.

-rick

Thanks for the encouragement bro.... :-D.......LOL

I expected I would get stung handling bees, I didn't expect it BEFORE I actually got my bees.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:36 am »
Remember: sweat runs down, bees run up. If you feel something running up your pant leg or sleeve, get it sooner rather than later.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:32 am »
Remember: sweat runs down, bees run up. If you feel something running up your pant leg or sleeve, get it sooner rather than later.

That is EXACTLY why I am here, never would have thought of that, I will now, thank you.
I am trying to absorb as much info as I can, even if I forget some of it, when an incident occurs...I will be like..."Oh yeah, so and so said this would happen".
I will say every day here is like going to school, the more I learn, the more I want to learn, this is freaking cool stuff. 8-)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:42:45 pm »
Just wait until your in the middle of a cut-out, thirty feet in the air, with hundreds of nasty, mean bees trying to nail you, and they find a thin spot in your gloves.  Twenty stings in as many seconds in the back of the hand.  It really makes you glad they can't get into your veil!   OOOPS, wrong on that account, too...  It's great fun, enjoy it!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »
I have thought about one getting in the veil during an inspection, and aside from the comical what ifs...every episode I thought of didn't end well for me.

The key here is to resist ripping the veil, because she might have 30 other kamikaze sisters behind her!  It does take a lot of self control as you have the hive ripped apart and they aren't too happy and that bee crawls up your neck, up your ear, hoping hoping she'll chill out and then ZING she gives it to you right on the ear!

My 9 year old was helping me once, and I was elbow deep in hive, we were both bent over the hive and he got one in his veil and before I could even say stop there he was without his veil bent over the hive! It did end up well, he didn't get stung but still....
Rick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:29 pm »
FYI, it isn't bad at all...I think I got more stings wearing all my bee protection than I do now without!  But I didn't dare go without until the sting reactions starting fading, it took a few years...
Rick

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 03:07:47 pm »
don't drink beer then think that you can take a quick look inside the hive at about 9 pm on the fourth of July!!  the girls don't like that!!  just an FYI.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »
I hope I can remember everything you folks are saying.
I did think about resisting the urge to remove the veil if that happened. But as new as I am at this point, I just know that I will be paying a stupid tax to the bees for a while anyway. :-\

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 03:58:37 pm »
I just know that I will be paying a stupid tax to the bees for a while anyway. :-\

...that is brilliant, because in the case of most of my stings, it has been because I was being dumb.

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 12:38:29 am »
Eating bananas ,and drinking beer . Will get you stung! - eather or both .
i learn more every year , some things over and over.

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 12:11:38 pm »
Thanks for the tip on bananas. Makes sense that the smell of bananas might make the bees go crazy bananas. (I wonder if that is where the term crazy bananas came from?)

So it gets better after the first 400? Okay, only 394 stings to go.... ;)

I think I have learned something from each sting so far... Variations of: That was dumb: I knew better: You know, there are times and hives where gloves make sense:  and Hey! Wassa you problem? - I didn't do anything to you (which of course, the BEE felt I had done, or would do, to the point of suicide bombing me) :) 

What still worries me what kind of reaction I might have getting 20 pops at once..., which it sounds like happens to everyone sooner or later. It's kind of a useless worry I suppose. All you can do is be prepared, and deal with it then.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 12:25:38 pm »
Better after 400 stings?  So since I got almost that many the other day when the lightening and thunder and lack of smoke made me into a walking bee beard then I should be doing pretty good soon?   One little hive today with only four frames of bees from a recent swarm buzzed at me and I backed away,  sting reaction might be getting better but my respect or fear level has risen too.  Going to go cut sumac berries today for smoke!!!!    For some reason I think I might just want a bigger smoker too,  maybe two of them... and a torch to light them with....

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 12:32:38 pm »
Some people have told me that the venom is cumulative, in other words, you can get zapped many times with no reaction, then the next sting puts you over the line. That is why I was concerned, as a young man, I stepped in a Yellow Jacket nest while wearing swim trunks only. After having the cloud of bees follow me at least 200 yards, while I was swatting and howling, they seemed to lose interest, I got 71 stings and aside from being swollen some, I was fine in a couple days.
The experience stays with you, I can tell you that. The question still remains, is the next sting the one? Is the bee venom completely different from say yellow jackets to honey bees? Is it possible to get epi pens without seeing a doctor or knowing if you are allergic, just in case?

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »
ß

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See what happens when you get tagged in the lip.  This wasnt from my honeybees but rather from some nasty yellow jackets I found last summer hanging gutters.   
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 02:10:00 pm »
OUCH :'(
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.