Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long does it take to make a supersedure cell?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
How long does it take to make a supersedure cell?
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:55:40 am »
I'm more curious on how long it takes to make this cell and have it ready for an egg (On average is fine)
What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How long does it take to make a supersedure cell?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:40:36 am »
Once they are serious, probably a few minutes to an hour.  If you put queen cells in a cell starter you can see a significant change over night, but they are building the cell as the queens grow so the cell grows with the queen...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:08:13 am »
Ok thanks. Much faster than I thought.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:40 am »
If you make them queenless, you'll find noticeable queen cells in 48 hours and if you look hard, you might see some in 24 hours.  But this isn't a matter how fast they can build them but how soon they decide to...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:44 am »
Well I have a Queen that seems to be doing well, good pattern and all. The Bees had made one of these cells and it had an egg in it. The package is 5 weeks ish old. WE agreed to remove this one and if they do it again to just leave it however I'm leaning towards buying a VSH Queen but not sure if they will supersede her 5 weeks later (or whatever) so I'm not sure if I should even spend the money. But it all depends what happens this week I guess.

Just for opinions, when should i look again?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:11 am »
I never remove a supersedure cell.  Often a queen fails quite suddenly after they have built the cell.  I don't know how soon they will decide to build a new one.  It's the decision that is the determining factor here.
-------------------

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:18 pm »
I'm more curious on how long it takes to make this cell and have it ready for an egg (On average is fine)

It is normal queen cell. From what they got impulse the queen, is another thing.

Once I cut a hind leg with scissors from a queen. They dediced almost at once to make a new queen.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 05:17:01 pm »

Once I cut a hind leg with scissors from a queen. They dediced almost at once to make a new queen.

This is a scientist at heart. theory or curiosity, controlled test, observe and recreate findings for verification.

anything