Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sears chainsaws  (Read 27464 times)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
Re: Sears chainsaws
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
There was a time when poulan was the chainsaw to have, and then the imports (stille, jonsered, and huskvarna) came on the scene, and poulan seems to have went downhill, and anymore are crap. I have three poulans, none are active, and not a one of the three would make a decent boat anchor, they are useless.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 06:20:08 pm »
poulon went after the homeowner market
to do that cost effective quality suffers. thats why most tools purchased from walmart, or depot, lowes are not near the top of the line. for a decent model you normally have to step to a commercial or contractor level tool

just my random experience

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 07:21:55 pm »
I own two Husqvarnas one I use and a larger one for backup. Haven't needed to use the back up. As long as you keep your chain sharp and cut at a medium/medium high with a sharp chain they should get er done. The problem I see most having is their chain is dull and they overwork the engine to compensate thus killing the engine. Trust me, I know from experience.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 07:15:40 am »
I would like to purchase a chainsaw for my husband for Christmas.  After moving out to our 2 acre home, he's said several times he wished he had a chainsaw--however, I have no idea what I am buying and--although I realize they are all dangerous machines--are there any for the nonprofessional user that might be safer than another?

Seems like Stihl is the way to go?  We have a local hardware dealer that sells Stihl, I may go check them out, but any recommendations would be great.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 11:09:50 am »
I would like to purchase a chainsaw for my husband for Christmas.  After moving out to our 2 acre home, he's said several times he wished he had a chainsaw--however, I have no idea what I am buying and--although I realize they are all dangerous machines--are there any for the nonprofessional user that might be safer than another?

Seems like Stihl is the way to go?  We have a local hardware dealer that sells Stihl, I may go check them out, but any recommendations would be great.

Can't go wrong with a Stihl Mrs Daniels. Husqvarnas are good also but unless someone is experienced using chain saws I wouldn't suggest the low end Husqvarna models, they can be overworked if not sharp. For the novice user I suggest the Husqvarna 445 model or larger.

Really, the Stihl is the sure thing and he will be very happy with it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:18 am »

None are really safer then the other.  Stihl makes a really good saw I really like my Husqvarna 455 Rancher i got from Lowes.  If safety is a major issue that you are worried about they make resistant clothing he can wear while operating the saw.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:46:34 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2009, 07:48:37 am »
All very helpful, thank you so much.

I know any power tool is to be respected, much like a firearm and used with appropriate safety measures--but since I don't know what those are, and since I don't fancy coming home to a husband with a buzz saw through is leg, I had to ask! :)  Lol.  He has used lots of power tools, including a chainsaw--I am just a little paranoid.

Thank you--I will go to our little small town hardware store this afternoon while he is watching football to scope out the Stihls...

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 11:11:12 am »
mdaniels. Also check out the Echo brand. For the money they make a pretty good saw for the occasional user it will do a good job and not break the bank. They have alot of the same features as the expensive saws.

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 07:15:01 pm »
I bought the Stihl Farm Boss today.  I bought this instead of the Echo (although the Echo came highly recommended not just by Sparky, but by a friend of ours who works on small machines) because Stihl is sold and services at our local hardware store, just a few minutes away.  The closest Echo dealer is about 30 minutes south of here.  I thought that it might be better if he needed the sawteeth sharpened or some sort of repair to go directly to the nearby store--besides, the folks who own the place are great and I like supporting them.

I spent just over $400 and got the 18" saw, an extra chain, the case, some other stuff in a small bag (don't ask me what)--and, after Christmas, he can take it in and get it fueled up there and started for the first time, to make sure all is running well and have any of his questions answered.  Seemed like a good deal for what I priced. 

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it, and I will be looking for Jim's safety suggestions next, for clothing, gloves, etc.  Mary Ann

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2009, 07:17:54 pm »
What do thos numbers mean anyways... 031, 034 and so on?

Engine displacement, larger number, more power.

Correction, my bad, on wrong page :? :shock: :-D

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2009, 10:54:14 pm »
mdaniels You did good and I am sure your hubby will be happy. So much so that when he is done playing with it and puts it away I bet he will want to jump into that honey do list. LOL!!!! ;) The nice thing about the 18" saw is he can always put the smaller bar and chain on it if needed but most will never do it. Bigger is better huh ?

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 06:36:10 am »
Lol, bigger seemed better!  Actually, the one at the store had the 18" bar on it, so I just told them to leave it on for the $10 difference.  I now have to hunt for those chaps they wear for protection!  And a helmet!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 12:55:00 pm »
Glad that you posted this, I am actually buying my husband a chainsaw for Christmas too and I was looking at the Stihl brand saws because they have them at the hardware store a mile from my house.
We can get alot of free wood, it gets dropped off but needs to be cut up so he needs a good saw so we can take advantage of this deal.
Good job mdaniels, I say the way to a man's heart is through power tools.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »
Is he going to do this for a living or a hobby or what? Or is it that he is accident prone? The helmet and the chaps are a bit extreme. Most people that operate a chainsaw realize that it can be a dangerous tool and if it is used with that in mind will do fine without all that extra gear on them to bog them down. If you want to get him something useful, you could get him a good pair of ear muffs for hearing protection, goggles if he don't wear glasses, a pair of good work gloves and some sharpening files that match the pitch of the chain on his saw.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 07:03:41 am »
 About 75% of all chainsaw accident are by hobbies just my .02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 09:40:33 am »
About 75% of all chainsaw accident are by hobbies just my .02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
Is it a hobby if you are trying to heat your house and don't really enjoy it?  :roll:
Rick

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 10:20:06 am »
Is he going to do this for a living or a hobby or what? Or is it that he is accident prone? The helmet and the chaps are a bit extreme. Most people that operate a chainsaw realize that it can be a dangerous tool and if it is used with that in mind will do fine without all that extra gear on them to bog them down. If you want to get him something useful, you could get him a good pair of ear muffs for hearing protection, goggles if he don't wear glasses, a pair of good work gloves and some sharpening files that match the pitch of the chain on his saw.

Some fellows I have known in the past, would be less dangerous with a machine gun than a chain saw.

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:13 pm »
Don't worry I was (mostly) joking about the chaps and the helmet, lol.   :-D But I will get him the ear protectors!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 12:10:00 pm »
a good pair of safety glasses, some good gloves (with good tactile traction left). The manual is law with a chainsaw, there are some very good techniques for staying out of the chain's path should anything go wrong.
be happy and make others happy.

anything