Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sears chainsaws  (Read 27464 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Sears chainsaws
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 02:49:49 pm »
I believe its an engine displacement number.  031 = 3.1 cubic inch.  I think.

David 

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 03:42:21 pm »
I believe Stihl is the better saw due to the fact they still make the saw out of metal, the rest like to use plastic to make the saws lighter and these parts heat up and break down.

My totally unscientific guess ;)

Keith

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »
My wife bough me a Stihl Farm Boss.
Best chainsaw I've ever owned.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 07:22:02 pm »
Oh man!
I just walked in after fightin' that pc of Junk Poulan 18" Wild thing!
 I just got online to do Stihl research, and somebody PM'd me and I got distracted from my being angry off!
 This thread was started just at the right time!!
 Good thing Janelle came home too!
 Awww to heck with it! Maybe tomorrow I'll go get one!(When nobodys around to stop me!)
How much is the Stihl Farm Boss?
 Where should I get one from? Does Home depo or Lowes have them?
your friend,
john

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 07:27:16 pm »
You'll need to look for a dealer. 

http://www.stihlusa.com

David

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 07:41:46 pm »
I believe its an engine displacement number.  031 = 3.1 cubic inch.  I think.

David 

Thank you. I had thought maybe the numbers were just a series of numbers they changed with every year or upgrade. But that makes sense.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »
Thanks David!
I know who sells them in my area now and I have full faith in them....A few years ago I got a 12,000$ Skag Turf Tiger for 5000$...best good deal I have ever come across!..I even mowed a quarter inch chain by accident once and it cut a foot off it and never missed a lick!..Its got a 27HP kawasaki engine, water cooled! I could mow a week straight and only have to fill up with gas every now and then!
your friend,
john

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:12 pm »
MS 270 STIHL WOOD BOSSĀ® Chain Saw $410 for 16", $419 for 18" and $429 for 20"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 10:15:09 am »
Where should I get one from? Does Home depo or Lowes have them?

Don't buy any saw from the big chain stores.   Even though I think at least one of them carry Husky(I think?).  It is a "homeowners" model  (read it as JUNK).

Go to a local lawn and garden and buy a professional model of any of the 3 major brands mentioned.  You'll be saving money in the long run.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reeegs22

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 12:57:13 pm »
If you are looking for a STIHL chainsaw dealer in RI or SE Mass.  look no further then Bulk Lawn and Garden.  It is my family's shop and they will take great care of you.  BUY LOCAL!!
:-) Mary

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 01:27:50 pm »
I would love to buy a Stihl, however all my overtime got cut but my bills did not, maybe next year.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 08:13:48 pm »
I went to the STIHL dealer today....And bought an ECHO!
Only difference that made my choice up was the 5 year warranty with the ECHO and a 1 year warranty with the Stihl...The guy who sold me the Skag ZTR told me they were both really good chainsaws but, as he mentioned, he said his wife does all the outside type of work at his house and he hates it when she says "It wont start!"...Sooo...he owns 5 Echos and hasnt owned a Stihl...I told him to set me up with whatever his wife would want!! :)
your friend,
john

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »
Nothing wrong with Echo but Stihl sells more chainsaws worldwide than anyone else for a reason. Their warranty might only be for one year but the chance of you ever needing it are pretty slim. When I went to buy my last saw I wasn't looking at Stihl because I was pretty sure a Husky was what I needed. After much comparison I was swayed towards the 044 Stihl which has served me without fail for over 10 years and more firewood than I could imagine. Starts on the second pull every time and has features no other brands of saws have.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »
I did it, I went out and got the Husqvarna 455. Its an 18" which was smaller than I was looking for but I was on a budget. I used it today and think I may be in love, starts up first time, with the easy start its easier to start than my lawn mower. It cuts like a dream also, went through the trees I was cutting like a knife through butter. Made my sears model look like a blunt bread knife, even when it worked. No tree on my property is now safe.
I narrowed my choice down to the Husqvarna or a Stihl, finally settled on the Husq as it rated slightly higher for vibration control and thats a must for my carpal tunnel. Echo never made the cut as I started reading about how good they are at claiming just about everything is not covered in the warrenty.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 09:58:05 pm »
I guess I've been lucky with chainsaws, I've had a couple different sized poulan. I just idle them till they are out of gas every time.
someone did tell me to buy a good american made chain for it even if its brand new. - I know that doesnt effect the engine operation, but I saw the difference in my brother in laws new saw - factory chain vs. new american chain.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 10:19:15 pm »
Glad things are looking up oldenglish. Did your old sears saw have one of the mufflers that had a screen on it or in it ? The Husqvarna can be a cutting machine. One word of caution, keep an eye on the automatic oilier on your new saw.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 10:24:14 pm »
My brother has Craftsman saws and he loves them. The most powerful saw that I have ever owned was a McCullough Pro Mac 610 bow. I loved it. Someone broke into my shop and stole it. I now have a Stihl and a Homelite. I like the both.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 09:36:36 pm »
I guess I've been lucky with chainsaws, I've had a couple different sized poulan. I just idle them till they are out of gas every time.
someone did tell me to buy a good american made chain for it even if its brand new. - I know that doesnt effect the engine operation, but I saw the difference in my brother in laws new saw - factory chain vs. new american chain.

That's the key, a good Oregon brand bar and chain will cure a lot of chain jumping and snagging and doesn't need to be sharpened after every cut.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:04 pm »
If you are a experienced user and are always careful when using a chainsaw , do yourself a great justice. Do not buy the stuff that the chain stores sell for a bar and chain. Go to a repair shop or dealer or even somone that sharpens cutters and get one of the professional chains and when the bar wears out make sure you get one with the grease holes on both sides, near the tip. The pro chains will cut real chips instead of the sawdust the other do. Caution when using though. They do not have as high anti, kickback plates in them and if they grab they can kick back if you do not have a firm grip on them. But MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the amount of cutting they do.

Offline megamon

• Brood
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:51 pm »
 :-* :'(

anything