Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Farmstand  (Read 14076 times)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Farmstand
« on: February 08, 2005, 09:09:50 pm »
Does anyone here use a farmstand to sell honey?

I live in a rural area where I could put one up, and at the same time, the road I live on has just enough traffic, especially in summer, that I might well get good exposure. (If any of you are race car fans, I'm not far from Watkins Glen, and when there's a race on, people often use my otherwise quiet road to get there.)

So tell me, if you have a farmstand, how did you build it? Plan it?
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 10:36:40 pm »
We have a farm stand when we have extra produce and in a few years honey. I looked at alot of farm books and such to finde designs I could move on skies. It is nice to be able to move it yet keep it low and stable.
Ryan Horn

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 10:45:57 pm »
sorry, ok, get 6x6 or 8x8 inch square post  that are like 12 feet long and cut the ends to like a 45 degree angle to make skies that you drill holes in on both ends. The holes are for you to hook chains to when pulling it with a truck or tractor. The largest I have seen one of these made was 12x12 ft with 3 skies under it. On the side it had a wide 4 foot door and the whole front end lifted up about 3 ft off the ground to make a large window. On the inside of the window put like a 2 foot wide counter. If you are just selling honey I would say only make yours say 8 feet by 12 feet so you dont waste wood scraps. I can scan you there drawing and send it to ya via email, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
Farmstand
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 07:38:44 am »
We sell a surprising amount of honey from our stand and we're not on a busy road, pretty much a suburban neighborhood.

http://www.sunshinehoney.com/honey/Business/infobusiness/aboutbusiness/stand.htm

Jim

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 05:46:13 pm »
I like your stand beesharp, looks very nice white. The one I described would only be good if you are selling ALOT of honey and/or other products. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Farmstand
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 06:31:15 pm »
I like your stand too. Nice, simple and small.  I was just going to ask if you have an honor system can out there?

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 07:18:00 am »
I was thinking of something along the line's of what Ryan's talking about,  partly so that I could keep a lot out, but also because I might add things to my produce line, like the candles and hand and lip balms I've been making. I might even add small herb plants or similar eventually. So I'd need a bit of space.

And this being a rainy kind of area, a little weather protection would be good.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:14:05 pm »
Well it will hold up to wind and be safe storage and protection from the elements, shouldnt sink much either. I will see if beth can post my pic I will send it to her later. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
Farmstand
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 07:16:20 am »
Quote from: amymcg
I like your stand too. Nice, simple and small.  I was just going to ask if you have an honor system can out there?

Yep, just a coffee can with "Thanks, for Bee'ing Honest" printed on the price list. We lose some every now and then, or folks will occassionally discount our prices. We don't think it's often enough to get excited about it and feel if somebody wants to "rip us off" they have to live with themselves.  We only put the stand out on the weekends when the weather is good.

Jim

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 08:50:37 am »
I myself like yours. We dont sell enough to sell to a ton of people every year so we just sell extra to all of are nabores and family friends, they get first dibs then we sell extra. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 12:11:46 am »
Quote from: Horns Pure Honey
I can scan you there drawing and send it to ya via email, bye

If you scan the plan, I'd like a copy too . . .   please and thank you . . .  :D

-- Kris

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 12:28:44 am »
I would be glad to send ya the pics :D . All I need ya to do is send me a PM with your email adress, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline TJ

• New Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 01:43:22 pm »
Lesli, There is a honey stand in Perry city just north of Mecklenburg. You should drive by and take a look. I remember reading an article by Richard Taylor in an old BeeCulture magazine. It was about his road side stand he had used for years and years. I will try and find it.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 02:39:12 pm »
Kris I am going to go find that stand right now, should get it in the next day or so, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 09:49:28 am »
TJ--Have you seen the one shaped like a giant honey comb on Route 277 near Meck? Cool looking!

I saw a plan in one of the magazine for turning an old wardrobe into a stand. That way, the door close during back weather/off season/ for moving. I actually have an old wardrobe I could use, provided I take my clothes out of it...

It was in my house when I bought it. This being an 1850's farmhouse, it doesn't have closets except where people have tried to build them into the rooms, so a wardrobe is a necessity.

Anyway, I'm kicking around ideads, and I like Ryan's of putting it on sleds so that I can pull it with my lawn tractor (it's not a huge one, but big enough). The husband of a friend of mine has said he'd help me build, so I'll have an experienced carpenter on the job. Now I just have to get plans and make up my mind how big I want it!
Lesli

Offline TJ

• New Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 05:36:54 pm »
Sounds familiar. I'll look for it next time I am out that way.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 11:40:43 pm »
I know I have been promising to get that stand on here but you guys will have to give me another day or so. I am quite sick right now and had to force myself to get on here tonight. I will just send the pics to Beth and she can post them for me. Thanks for the understanding, bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 07:41:07 am »
Take your time and get better, Ryan. No rush. We just got several inches of snow, and spring seems further away than ever.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 09:19:39 am »
Thanks, I have to make a poster board for school tonight so I should have time to get it done, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Farmstand
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 12:30:18 am »
I sent the pics to Beth but it didnt work, well if I get all your emails once again I will just send it to you all seprate, bye :D

I think I have yours firetool
Ryan Horn