Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Facts {and Theories} about trap outs  (Read 27962 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Facts {and Theories} about trap outs
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 11:25:36 am »
Iddee, you have created a most amazing thread, and it sounds like you have helped out so many people, and so many more people to come, good on you!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful days, of love, happiness and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BBees

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »
Iddee, just shook them out like you do. I've never had to do it before, and if that works for you, that's all I need to know. Weather is so nice here today. Made getting out of work to go to the bee yard well worth it. Really tough to go back to work though!

As an aside, when I pulled the trap cones off the building, the plywood bases I used splintered off in layers. Obviously, the scraps I grabbed to make them where not exterior plywood. I'll make sure when I refurbish the cones to use exterior plywood or solid boards. I'm still learning.

Thanks ever so much, Steve
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2010, 05:28:17 pm »
BBee, hopefully you saw them march into the new hive across a welcome mat. Glad the traps worked for you.

Cindi, thanks for the kudos. Seeing your return brightened a lot of people's smiles, mine included.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BBees

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »
Iddee, Sure did and not a dead bee on the landing board or in the grass! I confess I did spray them down with a little sugar syrup with lemon just as insurance. Heck, I like visitors that come with food rather than empty handed, too. Your system worked like a charm and can't wait to use it more often next season. Can't thank you enough.

Steve
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 11:05:08 am »
Iddee, thank you for your kind words, and guess what!!  These kind words have also brightened up my already bright smile, kudos to you too.  Have that most awesomely, beautiful day, of health and love, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »
I know a lot of folks have tried the cone in hive method, with many failures. The workers return to the house entrance, or base of cone, rather than the hive box. I don't know about the excluder.

Whether it would live through the winter has too many variables. Number of bees trapped, fall flow, quality of queen, amount fed, weather, ETC.

Just an idea, what if after most of the field bees have left the cone and settled into the trap box you move the cone inside the trap box.  It sounds like there is quite some time between the field bees leaving and the queen and her subjects leaving.  I am just thinking this would give the queen a chance to meet her old pals and maybe new home.  If the old queen decides to stay then you can remove the cone so the robbing can commence on the old hive.

I have never done a trap out but what I have learned on thread has encouraged me to try one in the spring.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »
Trapping is still in the pioneer stage. Try it and report back. We are always open to improvements. I'm sure there are many out there. They just need to be found.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:41 pm »
Trapping is still in the pioneer stage.

Oh I thought it was a standard proven proceedure.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2011, 05:53:01 pm »
Proven with one method only. There has to be many other ways that haven't been found, plus many improvements to my way. They just have to be found. It's a whole new method that is still in it's infancy. Everyone is always looking for improvements.

Also, there are different goals looking to be achieved through a trap out. The method for trapping the queen every time still hasn't been found. Maybe you can find it.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beyersgrt

• New Bee
  • K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid
    • Kantkraft
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2011, 04:11:40 am »
I have two swarms in places that ask for the cone trap out. How does the trap out influence the temprament of the bees? Do they become agitated more so the what could be expected as normal?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:34:10 am by beyersgrt »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2011, 10:08:54 am »
I have never known it to change their temperament. They are confused, rather than angered.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2011, 11:33:09 am »
I agree with Iddee. 

The first couple of days there is a lot more activity due to the confusion until they adapt to the hive.  While queenless,  they can be a little more temperamental, but I usually don't notice it until they have been unsuccessful raising a new queen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beyersgrt

• New Bee
  • K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid
    • Kantkraft
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2011, 01:47:45 am »
Thanks

anything