Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen cells??  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
queen cells??
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:29:40 pm »
back to my barn bees.....

i noticed that the population of bees in that box had gone down.  i tore it apart and don't find any eggs or brood.  however, they were clustered as though around a queen.  i didn't spot the queen, but this was a frame that is still kind of loose in there, so i didn't get as good a look as i would have liked.

what i did find were several empty queen cells.  that seemed a bit strange....maybe a new queen that is not mated yet, or just starting to lay??

got into my other hive thinking to give a frame of eggs/brood to barn hive.  couldn't find any....i'm assuming that the brood is all the way in the bottom since there is still a good bit of honey in the top box.  i really hate too break that hive apart. 

so....if i combine, should i leave a top entrance for the barn bees until they go through the newspaper?  what if there is a queen in there that i have missed? 

I'm so confused    :?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: queen cells??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:01:39 pm »
What has the weather been like?  Are there drones flying?  Are the bees flying?  Maybe the queen is a virgin.  Maybe, if there hasn't been any pollen, the bees haven't decided to rear brood.  Maybe if there aren't enough bees they CAN'T rear brood because they can't keep it warm enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »
they just broke cluster last week.  these last 3 days are the first days of really active flying. i put syrup on 1 week ago as the day temps came up a bit.  i don't think they were raising brood.  i was hoping to find eggs in hive 1 to give to hive 2.  i just don't want to tear hive 1 apart on the  chance that hive 2 needs eggs, or can be saved if they do.

i watched them for a long time today.  even though the numbers in 2 are down, the activity seems normal.  at this point, i am going to wait and watch.  at worst, it will be a learning experience. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 11:51:34 pm »
Kathy, I am thinking along the same lines as you.  Watch and wait.

It is so hard for people to give advice, because no one knows your own specific climate.  Every beekeeper must understand what is going on with their own temperatures.

Even here, across the river, away from the mountains, it is known fact that those communities are about 2 weeks farther ahead of me as far as nectar flows and warmth is concerned than in my little climate in my particular area, so close by.  It is really quite strange that just a few miles (30 or so) can make such a difference in the temperatures.  Best regards and have a great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:50:14 am »
sometimes i wake up in the morning and think "i should do something!"  :-)  then i have a cup of coffee and consider the fact that i have no clue what i am doing.....that usually keeps me from running off half assed.

i realize that i am over involved with this hive, but i feel bad about ripping them out of a perfectly good wall and stuffing them into a box, only to kill them off with inexperience!  i also realize that the alternative was a can of RAID, so all things considered, they are better off taking their chances with me   ;)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:13:01 pm »
Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing.My old english teacher used to say" when in doubt don't".Michael Bush says "evrything works if you let it"and the bees say "we were doing good til man came along with the chemicals.Relax watch the bees let them work and do there job
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:14:34 am »
kathyp.  Don't beat yourself up.  You did a good deed.  The bees would more than likely have perished eventually from some demise surely.  Your intentions were good, things will all work out in the wash, abd give yourself a pat on the back, knowing that you tried to do the best that you know how, and then, one never knows, maybe you prevented some disease to be broadcast to your own colonies from the feral.  Have the best day, Kathy.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 05:35:54 am »
I'm with cindi on that kathy.  Your trying to help.  I remember my first year of beekeeping there was a new article about a swarm at some local park.  The city sent FLAME THROWERS to get rid of them...bloody hell.  The panic was stupid level four stars.  Good on you for trying to help them.  Good karma. :-D