Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MN Hygienics  (Read 2849 times)

Offline saltheart

• New Bee
MN Hygienics
« on: August 08, 2005, 07:18:59 pm »
OK, right up front I'll admit that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the bunch, and tonight I gave myself more reason to believe...but throughout it all, I still have a nagging question.

This past winter we lost a hive of Italians. Our other hive, Carniolans, made it through fine. As replacements, after doing a little research, and having the good(?) fortune to have friends willing to part with some, we were able to obtain a nuc of MN Hygienics. All went well for installation and the bees seem to be doing fine...in their hive next to (about 4 feet away from) the Carniolans. We just took 5 shallows for harvesting (3 from one and 2 from the MN's) and they're really full. So, the bees have been industrious and quite active.

Something we've noticed, though, that we haven't seen before with the Italians and Carniolans...the MN's seem to be a lot more defensive and aggressive. Anyone out there have experience with these girls? Anyone see the same thing?

The beeyard is surrounded on 2 sides by forest, one side by planted bed, and the 4th side by a path with a vegetable garden on the far side. Working in the area has never been a problem. The bees ignored us. In the past 5 days or so, the Mrs. has been stung 5 times when working in the garden. She was wearing dark colors, so I attribute it to that...but maybe I'm wrong? She was 10-15 feet from the hive when stung.

The MN's seem to 'beard' the hive quite a bit. It's been rather hot here in Massachusetts this summer, and we've attributed the bearding to the heat...but who knows? The honey production hasn't suffered from it and there seems to have been no swarming at all. The 'other' hive never beards. All things between the hives are identical except for the race of bee.

And then...tada...tonight, yours truly did something that turned out to be truly and remarkably insane...and is paying the price at the moment. I got home from work about 5:00 PM and then...

We harvested and had a couple of shallows ready to return to the hives. Thinking that I wasn't going to be in the hives for more than a second or two, I donned my gear (white shirt, helmet, veil and gloves) tucked in my socks so I'd be well protected (I thought) and went about opening the hives and replacing the now empty shallows...not using smoke. The Carniolan hive went as expected. The girls within hardly noticed I was there.

Sooooo...thinking that I had a good thing going, I carefully opened the MN hive..taking off the outer cover...and then carefully prying up the inner cover....and then...whammo....they were on top of me in an instant. As carefully as I could, I put down all the hive parts I had in my hands and walked quickly away from the hive. ..they followed...in seemingly great number. And even though I thought I was well protected, I got stung through the shirt, through the socks, and (while trying to ward off the frenzied bees...the gloves came off a little) the lower arms and hands. I've counted about 30 stings or so. I'm fine...just a little upset with myself that I could be so stupid.

So there's my tale of insanity...with the question...about MN Hygienics...

Anyone out there have these bees? Anyone out there notice that they seem a little (?) more aggressive and defensive than other bees? Anyone out there have a handle on why they beard more on the hive than other bees?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience you can share.

Oh...and don't be afraid to take a swipe at Mr. Stupid here for attempting something that probably (in hindsight) shouldn't have been even thought of....

manowar422

MN Hygienics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:39:58 pm »
These queens are instrumentally inseminated, and are suitable for queen rearing, research and production hives. Every queen is marked with a numbered disk and has one wing clipped. All of our queens are guaranteed to be fertile and to arrive alive and healthy.

This quote came from the site that I found with a search for
MN Hygienics on Google found here.

(http://members.aol.com/queenb95/minn.html)

Is your queen marked the way they describe on this page?
Has original queen been replaced perhaps?

I read nothing about guarantees regarding gentle behavior on
their website, but what you describe is brutal at best,
perhaps you should contact the supplier and see what they
are willing to do about a replacement.

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
MN Hygienics
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 08:16:57 pm »
I have 3 hives of the Minnesota Hygenics. They are very productive from what I have seen so far, and yes they can be aggresive at times. You just took their honey so of course they are going to be mad. Give them a few days to settle down and wear your suit next time. :wink:
I also made a couple of splits from Minnesota Hygenic Queen cells and they are doing awsome.
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline latebee

• House Bee
MN Hygienics
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 11:10:46 pm »
OK saltheart,my answer to you is a question-as a hobby beekeeper is this type of aggressive behavior worth the extra few frames of honey? To me it is definitely not worth it,but you are the final judge of your needs.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
mn hygenics
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 02:05:19 am »
I got 2 nucs late last spring, (late June)  and the man I got them from answered "I can tell you what it said on the box" when I asked what kind of bees they were.  I believe he said "minnesota housekeepers" which I imagine is the same.

They are not at all golden, and one hive has a few black ones mixed in.

They beard, and are extremely gentle.  both hives.

I am thinking about putting the 3rd hive body on the one that beards and seems so prolific.  I don't expect any honey, just want them to survive the winter. and not to swarm.  The other hive is doing very poorly, and seems to show no interest in expanding beyond the original 5 frames.  I can't find a queen, but there seems to be queen cells.  Wouldn't their numbers have decreased considerably in 2 months if they don't have a queen?

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
MN Hygienics
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:11:12 am »
>Something we've noticed, though, that we haven't seen before with the Italians and Carniolans...the MN's seem to be a lot more defensive and aggressive. Anyone out there have experience with these girls? Anyone see the same thing?

I took Dr. Marla Spivak's class (who bred the MN Hygenic bees) on queen rearing in June.  According to her hygenic behavior is in no way related to temperament or productivity.  She says you pick productive calm bees and test them for hygenic behavior.  They should not be any more aggressive or any less productive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything