Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How about this for a July flow.  (Read 7092 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: How about this for a July flow.
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 12:54:38 pm »
... sitting on a lot of work with my old Kelly two frame reversable hand cranked extractor. Been working on getting a round to it but haven't found the time for it yet.

I had that same extractor.  Worked great, until I got a heavy flow with around 10 production hives.  22 10-frame supers to extract.  Needless to say I sold it for what I bought it for and upgraded to a old 20 frame Dadant electric that I completely refurbed.  A small flow going on here from I'm assuming soybeans.  As dry as it is I can't believe anything is producing nectar but I found fresh nectar in some of the supers I harvested from July 4th weekend.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
22 10 frame supers off 10 production hives is a lot of work with an old Kelly, I'm looking at 4-5 9 frame deeps along with 10 shallows full of honey off of my six hives. I'm going to use up a weekend with this extraction. The Cabbage Palm is in a major bloom right now around my area, has anybody tried honey marinated rabbit? Maybe something with honey, vinegar, garlic powder, red and black pepper and salt would work. We have two or three in the back yard but they are more like pets not pests.
Ed

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
I still use a old 4 frame hand crank.  I do good to work 2 or 3 boxes in an afternoon after work.   I use to have the best little spinner, but she got her hair caught in the gears one a couple years back and that was the end of my "power" extractor.    She will bottle, but never crank again.    :'(  She handles marketing.   I get to be the VP of production. 

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »
 Hey Allen and Prince. I'll let you know when? when is Wabbit season? The wife says fine just use pellet guns because of the nieghbors. I say heck they use shotguns for the doves! but the wife always seems to get hear way.  :? :-X. Just remind me and well get together. My dog was a great rabbit getter. But He passed away tonight of a major heart attack. he was 16 1/2 years old. Lab and retreiver mix. Great dog. I'll miss him.

john

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 11:37:17 am »
Sorry to hear about your dog.  He looks pretty happy under his blanket.  At 16 1/2 he appears to have lived as complete a life as possible.  As I told my kids when our dog died, can you think of a better life than getting to do what he did with us all his life?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline triple7sss

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 05:54:15 pm »
I'm in town and I swear that every other house has planted a clump of Russian sage.  It looks like a Country Buffet for bees every time I walk by a patch.  And I think that blooms right into September.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 01:24:11 pm »
This has been a banter year for sunflowers. Besides all the 10 to 20 acre plots plated for dove shoots, We have a farmer that has a big contract for the seeds. He has 100 to 300 acre fields planted in stages. We will have our bees on sunflowers until frost. This is so much different than this time last year.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything