Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My sick and twisted observation hive.  (Read 29731 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
My sick and twisted observation hive.
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:28:06 pm »
Being one who never does anything normal. I decided I want an observation hive. Sounds easy enough right?
Wrong Wrong Wrong.
I want an observation hive box.
While I like the single frame observation hives I wanted something that could hold a few more frames.
Fortunatly I have a great relationship with a plastics/plexiglass company near me. So I took a medium hive box and let him use that as the template and asked him to match the medium hive box. I had him place exterior handles on the box because doing a cut in would have raised the price a great deal.

The hive came out great. I am going to use it at the South Florida Fair where we will have a booth.

The only problem is due to the fact that it is plastic is that is smells like new plastic and I don't tink the bees will accept it. I am going to leave it outside for a few days and let the weaher get to it. Then I am going to prepare it like I would the permacomb and then wipe it clean.

I am going to add some bolt points to it so I can secure it so if some bumps it the hive body is still secure and the bees stay put.

The thumbnails are clickable.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: My sick and twisted observation hive.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:35:52 pm »
Very cool concept. Just a sidenote I clicked on the thumbnails and got a blank page not sure if that is the same for others.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:56:51 pm »

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:24:51 pm »
The links worked for me. But I don't have a problem as I sit 10 ' from the server. The thumbnails are fed off the same server. So if the thumbnails are there the main images should be also. Should be. Let me know if you continue to have a problem.

Finsky, that is an awesome design. It looks like a hanging flower pot in a way. I like it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:06:32 am »
Finsky, holy cadoodalhopper!!!  That is some kind of funky bee comb.  Did you give the bees a hint in how to make that?  Great day Finsky, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 06:02:07 am »
Wowo, a perspex hive is what i want!!! you could sell those easy, make zillions.

Finsky, you never cease to amaze me, a hanging basket hive, amazink!

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 09:45:45 am »
Very cool..  on the website..  the swarm was hanging out on the lawn chair.. guess they needed a rest!  Thanks Finsky

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 09:51:39 am »

Calm down my friends! It is not my hive or link.  I did not found where this artist lives.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:54:25 am »
Finsky, take the credit.  You took the time to put a post in with this cool picture.  That is worth commendation.  Great day to you.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 12:08:03 pm »
Just remember, glass (or plexiglass) hives in the sun have another name.  Solar wax melter.  You need some kind of contrived shade for them or they need to be in the shade all day long.  When I built a box with a plexiglass side I also made an insert to cover the glass when I wasn't observing.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 06:32:02 pm »
uau it looks great. wonder how it will look after a year. did they use ordinary plexi or lexan maybe? i was thinking about putting just a lexan box inside my room, of course with en entrance outside  but....i've been thinking a lot about lots and lots of things...

anyway, job well done. and no, i am not green of envy  :-D

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 12:07:26 am »
Just remember, glass (or plexiglass) hives in the sun have another name.  Solar wax melter.  You need some kind of contrived shade for them or they need to be in the shade all day long.  When I built a box with a plexiglass side I also made an insert to cover the glass when I wasn't observing.

I have a cover for the four sides of the box. I just figured for the pictures it would be better without the cover.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

anything