Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: enjoying bragging about my stings.  (Read 3172 times)

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
enjoying bragging about my stings.
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »
Went to pick up a swarm yesterday evening.  It was hanging on a gentleman's garage door.  The door was open.  Literally simple enough to just bring the box up to them and put on the lid.  (I'm using computer paper boxes for swarms)

The homeowner was extremely curious so I handed him my jacket and veil, figuring that this would be a great public awareness event. 

Got on the ladder, boxed the swarm, handed gentleman the box to start climbing down the ladder...   

Unfortunately..  I neglected to tell him that the box would have a little weight to it.  He didnt' figure in a few pounds of bees.. Dropped the box, the lid popped off and I have bees stinging me incessently. 

got off the ladder, waited half an hour for bees to calm down and managed to get them boxed the second time.. 

But the poor guy, I think I almost gave him a heart attack.  So I had to pretend it wasnt' anything major for at least 45 minutes until I pulled away and could start picking out stingers. 

He didn't get stung.  I lost count when I hit 80.   I'm a little puffy today.  Wishing I had a camera to show it off. 

Everyone at work keeps saying,  "Are you sure you enjoy doing this?" 

Ok so maybe I've lost my mind, but I'm ready for the next swarm call.  I put another visor in the trunk, and stuck a leather jacket in there too.  Lesson learned, I'll be more prepared next time, and explain that a box full of bees weighs a few pounds. 

Charla Hinkle

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: enjoying bragging about my stings.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:55:14 pm »
Good grief, 80+ stings!! that would have put me in the hospital.

A little puffy :lau: :lau:, what a hoot.

I hope you a OK!!

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:52:37 pm »
Actually, it really is only a little puffy, now anyway.  This morning my left eye was almost swollen shut. 

I feel like I got a pretty decent sunburn.  But I'm swollen.  The pretty little whitehead dots are starting to show up really well on all the stings.  Entertainment value for sure. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:25:20 pm »
Its a good thing the homeowner was wearing protection or it would be a whole different story.

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »
Yeah, I know how you feel, as it has been just over 24 hours since I picked up my last swarm...waiting for the next call is killing me...we are addicted!  :-D

I never let any of the watchers get close, let alone help me. Too many things can and will go wrong. Watchers usually panic and I want them as far away from me as possible.

I once went up a tall ladder to get a swarm hanging off of a gutter...way up there. I told them all to stay away from the bees for safety sake. They all told me that was understood. Then one of them grabbed a camera to take video...no problem as I did not object....until I was starting to back down the ladder and bumped into the fellow with the camera near the top of the ladder as I was backing down with a large swarm in a box! I do not know what happened next, but he grabbed me and about took us both off of the ladder...I had taped the box shut, or I would have been scraping more than stingers off of me.

Be careful and watch the watchers!

Brenda

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:34:47 am »
Well, by today I'm all better,  You can still see the areas where I was stung as little scabs, some minor bruising under one of my arms where I got the worst of it, but I figure not bad for 36 hours out.  I must have a little immunity to them. 

Had it not been what I had considered the Easiest possible swarm capture, I would have had the homeowner stand back.  I am glad I suited him up.  He called last night to make sure I was ok, and I laughed about it with him.  He is now considering getting bees.   I am going to take my beekeeping for dummies book over to him this weekend, I may have gained a convert.  It definately took the intimidation and fear of them away for him.   

Its amazing. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:33:13 am »
Glad to hear you are doing OK. I would say if you did not have immunity built up, you do now.

So you going to make a new beek out of him eh? 

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:19:35 am »
I don't know, he shows interest, but..  Out of the probally fifty or so people I've discussed becoming beekeepers, I've only had one actually buy equiptment.  So we'll see. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
I just got back from a call....large ball 2 foot off the ground in a pear tree.....they had already left by the time we showed up 8( 
Waiting for the next one!

anything