Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hiving Bees - In Rain  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:20:54 pm »
Hi,

Here in Minnesota its around 50 degrees and a slow drizzle. It isn't supposed to stop for the rest of today, all of tommorow, and Sunday morning. What is better, waiting until the rain stops (2 days minimum) or hive them tonight while it is slowly drizziling.

Thanks in Advance

manowar422

Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 07:28:17 pm »
Have a helper hold an umbrella or other cover. If the rain is just
a drizzle, try the Beemaster's method of installing a package.
That way you will only spend a minute or two on the install.
My bees are flying right now in a light rain, it doesn't seem
to bother them much :)

Offline mizkidmas

• New Bee
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 02:59:27 am »
Shizzell, I hived a package in the drizzle last week...the guy I got the bees from said they were in the crate for a while now and should be hived asap (he said a week...I don't know if I believe that). I had a helper, no umbrella and took out five frames, put the queen in place and pushed her off to one side and put the whole crate in the hive with the opening facing up. Closed her up til the following day and then I set it up properly. The bees were fine.
If I had another deep I would have place that on top  and rested the crate on top of the frames on its side (with it open of course).
The queen is now laying and the hive is happy.
good luck :wink:
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:21:54 am »
You can install them if you like.  You can feed them and wait if you like.  Spray or paint light syrup on the screen (careful not to damage their tongues) until they won't take anymore.  Or, if you're a little more brave, refill the can.  many of the cans have a plastic ring and a piece of cloth.  These can be refille and put back in the cage.

I try never to leave any excess room in the hive (like an empty deep on top) becuase the bees are just as likely to start building comb off the inner cover in the empty deep.  Bees greatly prefer their own comb to the foundation you give them.  So you can't leave them space where they can build it where you don't want it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:34:24 am »
or hive them tonight while it is slowly drizziling.

I will never mess with bees at night again, they get real mean or maybe thats just my bees........

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 12:55:28 pm »
Quote from: TREBOR

I will never mess with bees at night again, they get real mean or maybe thats just my bees........

Even nice bees became mad when handle them before night.

Evening is bad time to work with bees. If some drop to ground they often stay there in clumps for next day. Rain is as bad. It makes bee lazy.

I use to keep newspaper with me and if cold or rain comes I put the sheet of newspaper on bees. It keeps warm and odor put them to walk inside.

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 03:55:21 pm »
I did it a few weeks ago, everything went fine.  I have another package to install tomorrow, and it is supposed to rain till at least sunday again :(.  Bees don't seem to mind so much, but I like nice warm sunny weather.

Where are you at in Minnesota?  I'm in Eureka Township [By lakeville farmington]

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Hiving Bees - In Rain
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 11:26:44 pm »
By the Clearwater, Clear Lake Township, south of Saint Cloud about 15 minutes =D

Its nice to have people that live by you that are beekeepers

happy beekeeping, I suspect we will be talking more in the future :)