Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: insecticide use  (Read 1693 times)

Offline rockfordbeeman

• New Bee
insecticide use
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
Hi all. New member here from Minnesota. I have question to ask. What insecticide do you use in your yard to combat the pesky and often vicious misquitoe. I have recently(late May) aquired two hives and am anxious to know what I can use that will not harm the bees. I will only spray it on grass in the near front and back yard. My hives are located on the back lot line. I wouldn't be spraying any closer than 50 to 75 ft from them. Any advise? Bitten and Bleeding in Minnesota.  Eric

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: insecticide use
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:49:49 pm »
    Welcome Eric.  I think you'll really enjoy yourself here!  Great group of folks! 

Yeah Minnesota skeeters are definitely a breed of their own.  This may not bee what you're looking for, but here's a link.  We use the spray and not had any problems.  Just make sure you cover all exposed skin.  We also use their flea products and definitely helps. 

http://www.gardensalive.com/search.asp?ss=mosquito&x=14&y=12

Hope it helps.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:11:08 pm »
I posted on another site about wood tics and was pmed this ;;

do a google search for mosquito barrier. It's a great product that works to repel ticks and mosquitos. My husband has a company that sprays it in out area. You have to mix it correctly. Make sure you use dawn dish detergent and regular vegetable oil  Good luck!

I will pass it along ,,  If you try it let us know how it works
the kid

Offline rockfordbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:36:06 pm »
hey Kid

Thanks for the lead on Misquito Barrier. Sounds good. I will try it as soon as it arrives and spread the word. Now if it does work then I'll have to get the nieghbors to try it. Rockfordbeeman

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:47:55 pm »
I am lucky . . . further out west towards Great Salt Lake marshes there is a terrible skeeter problem but here in the city along the moving Millcreek there is none.  How about the bug zappers?  Citronella in Tiki Torches or candles any good on them mean Land O Lakes blood suckers?
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24