Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fall  (Read 9059 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
fall
« on: September 08, 2012, 05:54:15 pm »
What should I give my bees to prepare for the upcoming winter (medications).
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: fall
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:14:45 pm »
*PoP*

That was the sound of a can of worms you just opened

Stand by for the replies :)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:29:25 pm »
Ok, I will start. Are they sick? If not, why medicate?  :laugh:

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:39 am »
Very necessary is to pick varroa mites off from winter brood.
Thymol pads or formic acid are good stuff to do that.
Later in December, when the hive is broodless, oxalic acid trickling usefull.

Autumn mite treatment need 3 weeks handling because medication does not affect on mites inside capped brood cells.

Guys here will explain that treatment is not needed,
but if you do not want to loose you hives, do it.
Varroa is today more dangerous than 20 years ago.
It has lots of assistant diseases.

Advices like in MAAREC PAGES have miserable advices to treat varroa. Canadian pages are quite good and modern.

Official Canadian advices are 10 years after Europe, because  in many countries like UK, Canada and USA want to make good business before they give official acceptance to varroa stuffs.

The most ridiculous is Great Britain.  It  has not "allowed" to use self made oxalic acid solution.
But it has allowed to import Italian 6% product which is not suitable in treatment.

Treatment is "against law" but everybody uses it. You must bye some company product, so you avoid  going to prison.

Like hive  frames in Uk, they are 4 times more expencive than in Finland or Sweden.
They live in Robin Hood system even today. Everybody try to rob each others.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:29 am »
My bees have recieved no man-made chemical treatments, nor whatever the latest herbal remedy touted from on high, for last 7 seasons to control varroa.  Zero, nada, none.    

With the exception of  last years BEAR attack my bees are doing just fine w/out these things introduced into their homes by me, averaging better than 50% survival rates by Spring for last 7 years.  Last year I had 100% survival without treating for anything, until the Bear discovered my hives that is.

Varroa in my hives is minimal to say the least.  Am I and my bees just lucky?  I think not  8-)

From Finski's discription; I'm glad my bees (or me) don't live in Finland  :-D

t
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:23:42 pm by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:00:22 pm »
So you see, lol, to treat or not to treat that is the question.

Basically if you choose to treat, Fall treatments generally consists of a powdered Tylan antibiotic for AFB/EFB, a mite treatment of your choosing as well as a treatment of Fumagillin for Nosema. Some people use all of these, some a few of these and others none at all. I'm not overly comfortable with a 50% hive loss and since previously losing some hives to Nosema, I now do a treatment of Fumagillin in the Fall as well as an Oxalic mite treatment later in the Winter. Do a search on here, read all you can, and then make a decision on what your personal preference is.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:47:53 am »

Varroa in my hives
is minimal to say the least.  Am I and my bees just lucky?  I think not  8-)

From Finski's discription; I'm glad my bees (or me) don't live in Finland  :-D

t

lack of jokes, I think

yes, it would very long distance to nurse them.

I remember that only one country  in the wold suffers from "disapearing bees" called CDD.

Yes T Beek.  if you concenrate your self  to find from google beter jokes. And first, change that stupid avatar.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:57:30 am »
Whatever Fin  :roll:. 

Are you upset that my bees are varroa free, that my methods work (don't need your help, didn't ask for it) or that I made a joke (your words, not mine) about Finland? 

You're kind of a sensitive guy heh?  Sorry to P-U-OFF  :-\.  Was 'never' my intent, not ever sure what your intentions are???

Perhaps you could/should go back to ignoring me  :-D (I liked it better) and I'll do the same. 

BTW; What's wrong w/ my avatar, it looks just like me, minus a few scars. Gotta problem w/ that?  :-D 

Seems like it always comes down to this adolescent level w/ you Finski.......what a shame since you obviously have so much more to offer besides the usual ridicule.

t

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:44 am »
Beek. Go and change your medication.

Offline phrasmotic

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »
There are those who would rather lose a hive (even ALL of their hives) than medicate.  I'm one of them, because it seems clear to me that the salvation of the honeybee will be good genetics, not stronger meds.  That said, I'm a hobbyist with just a few hives - I don't do this for a living - so I totally understand the rationale of those big boys who medicate.  I can buy new bees each year if I have to without going bankrupt... I just have to explain it to the wife.   :-D

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »
I don't do this for a living - so I totally understand the rationale of those big boys who medicate.    :-D

We don't hate animals but it seems that some hate American cars

"daddy loves, daddy pays"

Crazy Finns of.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:55:42 pm by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 04:47:48 pm »
Hurry just for fun

HANKIRALLI 2012 EK4

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 05:17:34 pm »
Is it snowing over there already  :)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 05:41:17 pm »
Here you see the weather of one town in the niddle of southern Finland

http://foreca.fi/Finland/Jyvaskyla

Here is the weather on Polar Circle

http://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Rovaniemi

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »
About varroa

"Me America, me no mites"

Okay. Fine.

Why those who understand beekeeping,  write this way:

LOOSES IN OREGON ARE THREE TIMES THAN NORMAL

Saturday, 21 April 2012 17:16 Written by Horacio Mezziga

The Northwest hasn’t been hammered as badly as other regions, but hive losses have spiked. A 10 percent hive loss over winter previously was considered normal, but losses the past few years ranged from 29 to 37 percent, said George Hansen, a Colton commercial beekeeper and president of the American Beekeeper Federation. Hansen owns Foothills Honey Co., and travels the pollination circuit with 5,000 hives.

30 April 2012 12:47 Written by Analia Manriquez

A mild winter and unseasonably warm early spring have created conditions reminiscent of 2010, when beekeepers were caught off guard from an explosion of mite populations that killed off many honeybee colonies, according to a state expert. "The bees are coming out, but so are the parasitic mites," said Tony Jadczak, state apiarist and bee inspector. "What I've seen in my inspections is elevated mite loads because of the good health of the honeybees.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 05:56:54 pm »
The mite population douples itself every month or in 4 weeks. The longer brood period, the more mites.

100  - 200 - 400 - 800 -Critical border -  1600- 3200 - 6500-

7 months brood - 4 broodles months.

From March to October = 8 months.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 06:18:37 pm »
And the point is......................who knows?  I Feel like starting a fire, anyone w/ me ;)?

Don't treat.  Just say no!

t

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 09:08:54 pm »
I had enough mites this spring to see them all over the front porches of my hives. Since then I've seen none and the hives appear to be booming. I've never treated, and these are the first hives I've had overwinter. Lost in the past to starvation, over-swarming or bears. I don't plan to ever treat and hope to have hardy bees!

Everyone has their own methods, and I'm not trying to make a living on honey. I DO, however, make a living on organic vegetable production, raise chickens without antibiotics or hormones, as well as a couple pigs for the family. I never, ever used treatments on this stuff, until this year when I need organic treatments to save my vining crops from pests. So I understand the threat of a crop (including honey) loss but I think 9 times out of 10 in other systems (birds, mammals, vegetables) it's not necessary.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline mulesii

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 10:18:02 pm »
Whatever Fin  :roll:. 

Are you upset that my bees are varroa free, that my methods work

t

I am a new beekeeper, but I did a lot of research before I started.  If my bees were varroa free and I still had 50 % losses over seven years, I would probably reevaluate my beekeeping practices.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:10 pm »
And the point is......................who knows?  I Feel like starting a fire, anyone w/ me ;)?

Don't treat.  Just say no!

t

When I come on this forum,it reads  still "International Beekeeping Forum".

I cannot see "beek forum" or "beek's fire nor desire station".

Varroa in Canada

A University of Guelph researcher, Professor Ernesto Guzman has identified a distinctly Canadian cause of honeybee hive die-off. In the United States hives are found empty in the spring, in Canada they are full of bee cadavers.

The phenomenon is called colony collapse disorder (CCD) in the U.S. and winter colony mortality in Canada.

Researchers at the University of Guelph studied more than 400 colonies throughout three seasons, and found that infestations of varroa mites were the leading cause of death.
The mites were associated with more than 85 per cent of colony deaths.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/289275#ixzz267mazF1W[/url]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:40:09 pm by Finski »