Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is anyone familiar with this hive design?  (Read 9729 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: Is anyone familiar with this hive design?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 11:15:25 am »
Corvair, you make me laugh!  The box is being used, primarily because she doesn't want to hurt her kids' feelings.  The bees have built out the first bot and she is about to add the medium that came with the kit for a second brood chamber (I also found out she has back issues, so recommend she do this rather than get a 2nd deep).

After taking additional measurements, I found the extra width on the inside of the box is from the side walls being narrower than the wood used for standard boxes.  She can actually stack standard equipment on top of this stuff, but some modification is needed because the materiels that provide the overall length are longer, so water is going to sit on the parts sticking out and possibly leak inside.  She does have a neighbor that is a woodworer and he was there when she installed the bees.  I showed and explained a couple of things to him that she would need and he's willing to help...in exchange for honey, of course! :)

I know, I know, it would have been easier to get new equipment.

What worries me is the eventual varroa issue.  We've talked about it and talked about it, but she's in her honeymoon phase with the bees and I don't think it's really sinking in how difficult it will be to check for varroa, let alone treat (keep the hive clean), with a fixed bottom board. 

Time will tell, there's always the possibility that she could get lucky.  But it's more likely that a hard lesson is about to be learned.

What I'm upset about this company that made the box.  Of course, they totally took advantage of the kids' lack of knowledge!  But they also sold both boxes with only 9 frames inside!  What is up with that?  This gal had to go invest additional money to find more frames to fill the space (I know frames aren't real expensive, it's just the principle).  They say that their bees have no problem with the extra space...really?  Well of course the bees don't, they probably just build burr comb everywhere!  Do they even keep bees?  Because I'm wondering, seriously, if they do.

Okay, my carefully repressed attitude about this box is coming out, so I'm going to sign off now.

Sunny days and smiles, everyone!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 10:00:02 pm »
WOW!

"Do they even keep bees?  Because I'm wondering, seriously, if they do."

Bee Box People; With over 30 years experience in the bee world, we are happy to answer any questions or to offer suggestions on how to get started.

30 years experience in the bee world? Thats obviously meant to deceive potential suckers in my opinion.  30 years among the bees and they would no be building these coble jobs.  Grade school writing ability has me really impressed!

Bee Box People; All of the boxes are handbuilt in our shops, using carefully selected cedar boards.

If you ask me, They have a good supply of scrap cedar that is carefully selected from!  It does not take much experience to see that all boxes are two boards deep and pieced together with that wonderful looking fancy trim.

In my opinion, every peice of equipment shown on website is a coble job.  And thats their best work.

These poor children were probably the first customers.  Im disturbed by this.  Building stuff like this for use by self is one thing but.....  Come on.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 11:22:09 am »
30 years experience could mean combined. Like 30 people with one year experience equals 30 years. I still suggest that she start picking up meduiums and eventually transfer them out of that box. I still think use it for splits. Made buy her a copy of CIG to beekeeeping or beekeeping for dummies to suppliment her education. You can't force, merely suggest, educate and guide her.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
You can't force, merely suggest, educate and guide her.

Gently, of course, with a very pointed stick!  :)

She's a nice woman, we've already established that if she wants to expand, to do it with standard equipment.  Maybe if that happens an she sees how much easier it will be, she'll eventually trade out the currant hive.

I'm also waiting for the weather to be a bit more consistant and have her to my place.  Soon, very soon, I hope!

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »
maybe when she sees your set up, she have a WOW moment. And say "that's much better, I want that" If not keep your stick handy.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 09:20:21 pm »
  The entrance reminds me of a Warre hive. I have noticed that the "Standard" Lang hive is standard in name only as makers seem to delight in small differences.
  Perhaps an "adapto kit" could be made in a form of inner cover that would mate a standard lang to the bottom boxes.
  I seldom poke around in the brood boxes unless I feel there is a problem so leaving the bottom alone would not bother me much.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 11:13:06 am »
how would that work if you reversed the brood boxes?

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 06:36:07 am »
you obviously would not revers boxes.  You can move frames too you know.  When keeping one or two colonies, you have a little freedom to improvise.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 07:25:10 am »
>1.  They have found the extra space beneficial for ventilation.

Extra space will be filled with comb.

>2.  Their claim is that because the box is red ceder (as opposed to white ceder), that they do not have problems with pesky other bugs.  I can see that for moths, but they are also claiming it to be true for varroa. 

I've build many cedar boxes out of scrap siding over the years.  There is no difference in wax moths or Varroa.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 12:54:46 pm »
Nope, can't reverse the boxes, not with a fixed bottom like that.

Michael:  Believe me, the first thing I did once the builder responded to my questions was start another thread about cedar boxes and varroa, just to make sure.  Sure enough, everyone answered with a resounding, "Nope, cedar's not gonna help you with varroa." 

The update is that the Bee Box people did send additional frames to fill up the space.  They say it was an "oversite" that the boxes left the shop without all frames intact.  Could be, I suppose.  Doesn't matter now.  She's got what she needs and is off and running.  Her bees are looking good, the queen is laying an absolutely beautiful pattern and they are working on filling the second brood chamber, which is a western.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »

Her bees are looking good, the queen is laying an absolutely beautiful pattern and they are working on filling the second brood chamber, which is a western.

And the kids are pleased that mom is having fun with her new hobby using the present that they bought her. You did good.

anything