Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Always Interested, but New to the keeping of the Bee.  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Danarchy

• New Bee
Always Interested, but New to the keeping of the Bee.
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:52:13 pm »
I got lucky and stumbled into an internship with an experienced Beekeeper, I will findout day after tomorrow if I have what it takes....or atleast maybee get a clue!:-D

Offline Danarchy

• New Bee
Re: Always Interested, but New to the keeping of the Bee.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:59:49 pm »
well, didn't get to Beekeep today :(, something about it not being warm enough??? In Texas? maybe next week?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:28:13 pm »
Let us know how you make out with it!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:11:50 am »
Hi, how EXCITING, Danarchy! A fabulous opportunity! I'm new to the forum too, but am eager to hear about all the adventure, lol!

Offline Danarchy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:01:39 am »
Amazing! I actually got to open about 14 differant hives and just check their progress. I hadn't seen them before, but the person I was helping told me what I should be looking for and when we needed to add supers(?) I got stung once, but only because I got a bee in my coveralls(yes coveralls) and bound her up when I twisted around to set down a top. Incredible creatures, I can't wait to go again this week!

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:00 am »
oooo 14 hives, what fun!!! except for the bee sting. I've never been stung before and I'm sure I wouldn't like that much, but other than that pretty darn thrilling. Hey be sure to take a camera with you to take some photos! I loooooooooooove bee photos! And please share anything new that you learned. I know very little about the bee process myself.

Offline Danarchy

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:38:51 am »
Back for my second Beekeeping experience today(sorry I forgot the camera, maybe next week),we checked the same 14 hives plus one extra that was out in a field(maybe for pollinating?), I made it all the way to the last hive with no trouble moving, checking, adding and so on, then 3 bees made it up my pants leg! (2) on the thigh (1) sting on the shin! The one on the shin is killing me now! I had a Great time and I look forward to going back nextweek.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 05:30:45 pm »
Well Danarchy you just answered your own question as to weather or not you have what it takes. Anyone that has taken that many hits and is still enthusiastic about going to do it again has what it takes. ;) Keep up the good work and put some straps or rubber bands around them pants if you are not comfortable with them getting up inside.

Offline Danarchy

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:18:54 am »
3RD week as a Beek and I didn't get stung today! I am moving slower and the bee's were really mellow today(for some unknown reason?) I really didn't need to smoke them, and I had no bee's try and bust through my vail. I took pictures, but I can't post them yet.(I might be a spammer! watchout for me!) Good day beekeeping! :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:40 pm »
what great experience for you.  most of us do the trial and error thing...with emphasis on error.

if you decide to get your own hives you will be ready!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »
Whoo-hoo, what an exciting third week! You are mellowing along with the bees, ripening with the experience, lol! Hey I am drooling I would love to see the new bee pics!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »
Ya, looks like Danarchy done got stung by the beekeeping bug.

Offline Danarchy

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:25:39 am »
I can POST pictures now!  :-D

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 04:24:37 am »
Beautiful and THANK YOU Danarchy!!!  :-D  :bee:  :-D

They look soooo golden and gorgeous. I could hug 'em all, lol! It's so cool to see them face the same directions too, such orderliness. Correct me if I am wrong, but bee experts when this happens does this mean the bees are very relaxed and calm...?

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:30 pm »
Welcome Danarchy ! You already can do one thing that I do not know how to do-- Posting pictures.

I'm not sure if I have anything that people would want to see anyway, but I might try posting a picture in the future.

I also worked with an experience beekeeper on and off for about two years before I got my own hives last year. Ask a lot of questions and learn what you can while you have the experienced beek beside you.

Larry

anything