Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from NorCal  (Read 2299 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Hello from NorCal
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:18:51 pm »
introductions - I signed as a member under the name waggle dance which was shortened to wd.  

Where to begin, I'll go with the shortest version I can think of. An interest for bee keeping hit me in the the mid to late 1990's. I tried calling and visiting local apiaries but no one was ever around at the time so I gave up on that and went ahead and started myself. I ended up buying some books and did some online study on and off for 2 maybe 3 years. I don't recall the exact amount of time on study.

In the winter of 2000, I purchased enough to do 12 double hive body's 3 supers high along with frames and some other supplies. pollen, bakers sugar, tools, feeders etc from dadant. In 2001 I started 9 hives. By 2003 I had what appeared to be 2 strong hives going. In 2004, the bee's vanished. I was out of state at the time so I'm not sure what happened there.

Currently, I do not have any occupants, looking back, I see some of the mistakes I made and will not repeat them but still have much to learn in the actual practice. This coming year (2010) I'd like start up once again I have my eye on a couple of possible bee yards but nothing definite at this moment.  Tried to include a pic but it's denied.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
Re: Hello from NorCal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:26:00 pm »
Hi WD....Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear that things went south for you a few years ago (with respect to the bees), but glad you are giving it another try.  You will find a lot of great info here, especially if you are trying to keep bees using no chemical treatments.

FYI, my wife and I were married in Mendocino (or just south of there) in 2001...I miss the sound of those waves crashing :).

...Tim

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:58:09 pm »
Thanks for the welcome tshnc01. Here to learn what ever I can.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:03:50 am by wd »

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:30:54 pm »
Welcome WD. Is this a slim as the name is going or next year is it going to be W ?  :-D You will be able to take in a bunch of info. before spring. This site is the library of beekeeping at your finger tips. Hope that things work better this time around for you and the bees.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »
I'm fairly certain wd is short enough. Thanks for the welcome Sparky!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:02:43 am by wd »

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:29:25 am »
What part of Northern Ca??  I am in Placerville. Are you anywhere near me??

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:47:33 am »
WD, welcome to our forum, great you found us.  Wow, what a story, I read with great interest.  You clearly are held deeply under the spell of the honeybee (we all are).  You have not given up on them, that is beautiful.  That you studied so deeply and then got your equipment and bees, I think that is cool.  I wish things had not gone badly for you, as they did.  But you are still going to do well, I know that.  The time will come when you again get bees, and your time with them in the past and the studying, and the realization of some mistakes you think you made, you will become a most wonderful beekeeper.  Stick around, we love new members -- this will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, make some new friends, and do more learning.  Learning is a never ending story of our lives, and it is all good.  Have the most wonderful of days, to love and live with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »
Hello Annette, I'm a 2.5 to 3 hour one way drive north west of Placerville. 

Thanks for the welcome Cindi !

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:53:04 pm »
OK far from me then. Good luck with the bees and wait to hear more from you

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:10:49 pm »
Hello and Welcome again WD
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny