Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aussies into Organic Beekeeping Posts  (Read 3758 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Aussies into Organic Beekeeping Posts
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:09:53 am »
Well I am one.

Going on 2 years with one hive, never used one single chemical. Honey coming out of every cupboard in my house, 15lbs a frame.

Had a bit of waxmoth once, cleared em up with the banana and vinegar trap.

We are very lucky downunder!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Aussies into Organic Beekeeping Posts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:37:38 am »
Yes you are VERY LUCKY down there
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:28:01 am »
Mick, sounds like you have some outrageous honey issues (lol).  Your frames must be excrutiatingly heavy when you pick one up eh?  Good for you.  Have all the fires down your way been all dealt with?  How are the water issues.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:02:30 pm »
Three cheers to you for your non-chemical healthy honey laden hive!  What do your bees take their nectar/pollen from downunder??

I have many eucs on my land, they seem to love euc blossoms...we can hear them way up high buzzing away...

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:47:12 am »
yeah, and lets keep it that way. so much pollen this autumn, cleared up any EFB around. No need to use antibiotics there.

I'm trying to get a few natural cell size colonies going. Luckily we don't have varroa, yet. They have it in New Zealand, and all the organic beekeepers have turned to chemical treatments (only one I know of is starting to experiment with a smaller cell size), after severe losses. 

When it does arrive here, hopefully I will be ready and won't have to rely on treating with chemicals.

James.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)