Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: jetfoot  (Read 6342 times)

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
jetfoot
« on: November 01, 2012, 05:27:54 pm »
I am thinking of buying a boat with a jetfoot outboard motor.  Anyone out there who can advise me what to be on the lookout for or the downside of a jetfoot outboard.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: jetfoot
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »
I hear they're not very good at mulching manatees :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »
 :-D     

I have wondered about them also.   How shallow can you run the one you are looking at?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:39:56 pm »
Just make sure any one that you look at has a good revease hood for backing up and remember that when you cut the throttle you loose control steering. Make sure the unit has a idle lockout so when you cut power you don't go into idle until you press the release that helps keep you in control of the boat. some have clearence of as little as 10 inches of water for output. they are neat but tricky to get use to.

John

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
I hear they're not very good at mulching manatees...

I hope this wasn't you, but one day I got behind a Volvo SUV with Florida plates.  He/she had two bumperstickers one about scuba diving and another saying "Save the Manatees!" 

Now I don't want to nor do I plan to chum with manatee, but VOLVO outdrives chew up more manatees than almost anything else. Why would someone who cares about the fate of manatees buy a Volvo? :scrach:

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:43:56 pm »
How shallow can you run the one you are looking at?

I don't know.  Maybe 6 inches with one person at a slower speed with some loss of control or I suspect at full speed in a foot of water and with two on board.  The jet foot doesn't provide any protection to the boat from collisions with underwater objects so there are some concerns that a skipper with a jet foot outboard could get himself in more jams that a prop skipper, by the simple fact that the prop boat could not operate in the same shallow places.   I also know that jet boats suck at towing and that they do better when more of the weight is placed forward.  That may not mean as dry a ride as a prop boat?

I don't really understand how a tunnel hull helps but I've been told that it does.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:27:53 am »
A regular prop pushes water out as well as backward. The energy being pushed outward is wasted. The jet drive takes that energy and directs all of it behind the prop so that for the same amount of energy you get more thrust.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:21:25 am »
I don't really understand how a tunnel hull helps but I've been told that it does.

The tunnel creates a high pressure water zone directly in front of the foot of the outboard. In other words, it force feeds water to the prop, or in this case, the jet drive. It also maintains a water supply for the drive when there's not much water under the boat. They work very well, for shallow water applications.
With a correctly designed tunnel, you can actually raise the motor ( with a jack plate) and still provide water to the drive. You just have to keep in mind that if you raise the motor too far, the water pickup for cooling the motor can be out of the water. You will overheat the motor. Also, if you raise it too high, you can't steer. Ask me how I know that.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:06 pm »
We have all been sold every day

some are just the art of overselling