Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Scooters  (Read 6835 times)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Scooters
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:03:15 am »
Just picked up a used 2005 Vespa GT 200. Runs like a sewing machine and will do 75mph on the highway. Who says scooters are for just urbanites or kids? This is for the wife but it is so fun I might be trading my old sportbike in for another.  :shock:
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Scooters
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:04:15 am »
Hjon,
In 2009 I bought a 2005 Burgman 650 , also a scooter. The are really enjoyable to ride and get 50 miles to the gallon. It will go faster than I want to go on the highway, videos on utube show it doing 112 mph. They also have a very large trunk. Some people do their grocery shopping with them and show off how much food they can bring home.
Congratulations on your new bike.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:56:14 am »
Thanks. Her one requirement was that it had to be cute. LOL My one requirement was that it be dependable. So that narrowed it down pretty quickly. Those Maxi-scooters are beasts on the highway. I was tooling around on my sons 2013 300 ninja one day and got outrun by a Burgman. I didn't tell anyone about it until now :'( it still kinda stings...

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:48:35 am »
I was working late one night (like 3am) and heard this strange scooter like sound in the distance but couldn't see anything.  I said what the heck is that?  The sound got louder and louder, but I still couldn’t see anything. :idunno:  So I shinned a flash light at the road and low and behold some idiot was going down the road on a scooter without ANY lights.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:06:07 am »
Thanks. Her one requirement was that it had to be cute. LOL My one requirement was that it be dependable. So that narrowed it down pretty quickly. Those Maxi-scooters are beasts on the highway. I was tooling around on my sons 2013 300 ninja one day and got outrun by a Burgman. I didn't tell anyone about it until now :'( it still kinda stings...

Hon,
One of the things that makes it so much fun is power. And it is quiet. With the CVT (continuously variable transmission) you give it enough gas to rev up to 4000 RPM and you go from zero to 60 and the RPM stays constant, you just have to let off the gas to stop the acceleration as you increase speed.
If you want more acceleration, you push the power button, and it lowers the starting ratio of the pulleys and really takes off.
At 80 mph, if you give it more gas, it really takes off.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:08:49 am »
I was working late one night (like 3am) and heard this strange scooter like sound in the distance but couldn't see anything.  I said what the heck is that?  The sound got louder and louder, but I still couldn't see anything. :idunno:  So I shinned a flash light at the road and low and behold some idiot was going down the road on a scooter without ANY lights.

Bluebee,
That's what they call an organ donor. :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »
I was working late one night (like 3am) and heard this strange scooter like sound in the distance but couldn't see anything.  I said what the heck is that?  The sound got louder and louder, but I still couldn’t see anything. :idunno:  So I shinned a flash light at the road and low and behold some idiot was going down the road on a scooter without ANY lights.

It was a full moon that night. I could see just fine :-D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:00:33 pm »
A couple of weeks ago while we were at my farm, we could hear a crotch rocket racing on a road that is over a mile behind the farm. Engine racing sounded like he was doing 120+ mph down the back road. I could hear him coming towards the main road in front of the farm. My wife and I stopped and watched race by on the main road. He went screaming by and we could hear him miles away when I heard him use his engine to slow down really fast. I looked in that direction and started laughing. My wife asked what happened. I told her her just raced into a really bad storm. I could see the entire area in that direction was black as can bee.

We used to have a guy race down that same road at very high speeds on one wheel. Every week we would see and here him go by. This went on for about 2 months. Then suddenly he stopped and we have never seen him go by again.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »
I'll show off my scooter...a goped Supersport with all kinds of racing upgrades (previous owner) and an add on clutch so I can idle at traffic lights.

Sorry about the image..was posting from my phone at market:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:26:35 am by deknow »

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »
Wow deknow!  That's a whole other animal. Looks fun though. Top speed?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:06:42 pm »
Deknow,
For some reason your link just shows a bunch of strange pictures, flowers, a strange house and an aerial circular swing.
I would like to see you bike if you can correct it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:53:28 pm »
For me it opens in thumbnails. Click scooter top left.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:35:02 am »
In answer to the top speed question.....I'm smart enough not to have found out :evil:

6" hard rubber tires, 29cc 2 stroke (it's been souped up a bit for higher compression, tuned exhaust and a high performance carb).  It's a bit of a rough ride on the road, but between our house, our commercial space, and our local diner the roads are wide with no one parked on the side of the road, so I routinely ride it a couple of times a week for a couple of miles.

The brakes are sketchy...just some spongy metal calipers that grip the front wheel (it is safer if they don't work, although I do use them to keep speed down going downhill...I go faster uphill).

The drivetrain is...none really.  There is a knurled bar that comes off the crankshaft that rubs against the rear wheel to spin it.  It is much better for me with the clutch and rope start than stock (direct drive, no idling...to start the engine you kick off on the scooter and hope it starts).

In any case, this is what happens when your parents take away your skateboard because it is too dangerous  :mrgreen:  ...and when you are too chicken to get a motorcycle (although I'm sure mile for mile a motorcycle is safer, I'll go a lot less mile on this thing).

It feels halfway between flying and falling...I try to lean into the flying part :)

deknow

deknow

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
...there is a youtube video of someone  who mounted 2 chainsaw engines on one of these things...and clocked 65mph ...on 6" hard rubber tires!

I don't know everything, but I know I am smarter than that dude, no matter how much work it was.

deknow

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:41 am »
Yup, that's a scooter.  :-D
Looks like what we used to ride as a kid with a motor added.  :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 07:12:42 pm »
...there is a youtube video of someone  who mounted 2 chainsaw engines on one of these things...and clocked 65mph ...on 6" hard rubber tires!

deknow

That person sounds like the organ donor! I don't heal as well as I used to so my hobbies are getting less risky. Lol

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:59 am »

deknow

That person sounds like the organ donor! I don't heal as well as I used to so my hobbies are getting less risky. Lol
Yea me too.
It is a whole lot safer playing with a million bees.  :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
Different kind of risk. Plus, for now, I suit up every time I open the hive.

Anyone else have a scooter?

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 06:39:05 pm »
Ya
we have one ya push with da feet

been lean-en against the wall for 6 years or more

anything