Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What, You Don't Like My Color?  (Read 8238 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
What, You Don't Like My Color?
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:02:45 am »
You hear stories about color affecting bees. My take is, the bees don't care. Now, I'm not saying it is insignificant, no, but generally speaking, from my experiences around bees, unagitated bees simply can care less that you are there with a black shirt or a yellow one, whatever.

I wear dark blue and black shirts around them all the time and they pay no mind. So what I'm saying is, I do not for one second believe that "color" of any type is a trigger for bees to become aggressive and start stinging you or your black pet minature pony.

Once agitated, they may or may not hone in on a particular color, I don't know, but I believe the whole don't wear black around bees is far fetched.

My jacket and veil however are white. Anyone work their bees in colors other than white?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: What, You Don't Like My Color?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:12:50 am »
JP I agree with you w/ calm bees I don't see color as a big problem. Now I have seen some pi***d off bees go after the darker colors and fly right by someone in white but again the guy in color (purple) was running so that probably didn't help either.

Keith

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »
Mine sure seem to zero in on my brown leather high top boots.  I call them my little ankle biters

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:51:45 pm »
Once agitated, they may or may not hone in on a particular color, I don't know, but I believe the whole don't wear black around bees is far fetched.

Tell that to my black lab who gets the short end of the stick all the time.  I can be working in shorts and a t-shirt and she will be 20 feet away and get nailed.   Perhaps in ideal weather conditions it doesn't matter,  but if the bees are one bit ornery it seems to matter.   I had a beagle that had scares on her ears from being stung as a puppy when I took here to the bee yard not thinking it would be an issue and she got stung up pretty bad before I could get her back in the truck.   From that point on,  unless the weather is near perfect and the bees are too busy to care,  the dogs stay in the truck.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:51:42 pm »
JP I agree with you w/ calm bees I don't see color as a big problem. Now I have seen some pi***d off bees go after the darker colors and fly right by someone in white but again the guy in color (purple) was running so that probably didn't help either.

Keith

PURPLE? :shock:

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:43 pm »
I tend to work them in just a veil and tshirt. Whatever color I have on that day. No issues so far, I keep my smoker handy tho.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
Dark colors are bad from what I have experienced and black dogs do get it every time.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:32:14 pm »
you have seen my royal blue bee suit! it is dark but i dont get stung any more with it than any other colors.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:17:38 pm »
Haven't noticed more or less stings/aggression based on color.  I read or heard somewhere dark colors look like bears and bees have evolved to identify dark moving objects as threats.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21:46 pm »
Haven't noticed more or less stings/aggression based on color.  I read or heard somewhere dark colors look like bears and bees have evolved to identify dark moving objects as threats.

This has been my theory, imparted to me by my mentor way back when.  Brown and Black on living moving creatures draws a responce from the bees because of eons of preditory behavior from animals having dark hides and/or hair.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 08:49:48 pm »
Of course, there are times that no matter what you wear, no stings will come your way. And sometimes, it does not matter what you wear, you will be stung.

But I seen bees focus, when agitated, on a grease spot on my pants, my wife used to wear a black bun scrunchy thing in her hair (good for a few laughs before she figured it out), and I had a friend help me who wore black socks who refuses to help me again. If they are looking to defend something, bees go after dark objects first. And I am sure if they start getting agitated, that wearing black would only compound the problem.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:12:47 pm by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:50:37 pm »
Great to see feedback on this subject, keep the stories coming. Hey, I found out something peculiar about Bailey's dog this evening, but I insist he has to be the one to tell the story. He never even told me the story himself, so I need to hear it straight from the horse's mouth! ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:45:03 pm »
I had a black watchband they literally loved :evil:!
John 3:16

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »
I work the bees wearing black jeans and a black t-shirt frequently.  I haven't noticed any difference.  If they sting me, they usually go for the hands or head, neither of which are black.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:00:03 pm »
I generally wear whatever I have on.  If the weather is good and the bees are calm I generally jut wear gloves and about 50% of the time a veil.  I call it freestyle.  I did get tagged in the eye last year so the freestyle option has become less attractive. I had a dinner party that night too and my eye was swollen shut.  Had a bocce tournament too before dinner and the ol' depth perception was really sub-par.  That said I dont wear black ever so I don't know about that but dark blue never seems to make a difference. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 11:55:31 pm »

This has been my theory, imparted to me by my mentor way back when.  Brown and Black on living moving creatures draws a responce from the bees because of eons of preditory behavior from animals having dark hides and/or hair.

Brian, maybe that's where I read it!  :-)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:57:23 pm »
I'm inclined to think color doesn't matter, but breath odor does.  It seems that the girls tend to zero in on me if I have something on my breath, particularly if its sweet or pungent.  

David

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:01 am »
I had a black watchband they literally loved :evil:!

Eweeeee!!!  Yep, gotta agree on that one.  I have been stung a few times on my hands, mostly when hurting the bees upon accident.  But the most stings I get would have to be when I forget to take off my black VELCRO watch.  I think that they see the fuzzy strap and for surely think it is some kind of monster coming to get them.  They don't attack my blue jeans, that is a darkish colour.  Beautiful day in this great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 09:54:34 am »

Keith

PURPLE? :shock:

LSU SHIRT AND HAT

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

Keith

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 10:19:55 am »
Eweeeee!!!  Yep, gotta agree on that one.  I have been stung a few times on my hands, mostly when hurting the bees upon accident.  But the most stings I get would have to be when I forget to take off my black VELCRO watch.  I think that they see the fuzzy strap and for surely think it is some kind of monster coming to get them.  They don't attack my blue jeans, that is a darkish colour.  Beautiful day in this great life, health.  Cindi

Velcro watchbands absorb a lot of sweat.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that they are more attracted to the odor than the color.