Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee  (Read 2057 times)

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Newbee
« on: July 08, 2007, 12:05:26 pm »
Hello all,
I am a new Beekeeper. I just got started with one hive in the backyard. I am really enjoying the process. Both my wife and I love watching the girls do their thing. So far I am doing well, I think. Not always sure that I know what I am doing.

I am located in Loveland Colorado and I joined the local bee asociation but I seem to have trouble making connections. I would love to watch an experienced person inspect hives just to see what they do.

I had a rough start as I thought that I lost my queen.  could'nt find her or locate eggs after 5 days. So I ordered a new one. I decided to mark her so that I could bee sure that I could identify her. Later when I inspected the hive I found what I thought was the queen but no marking.... No Problemo, at this point it is clear that all is well as I have lots of brood. Two weeks ago I added second brood box opened up the entrance and added a vent hole at the top of the hive. This week I quit feeding and added first honey super. Lots of growth in the last few weeks! Pretty sure that they are healthy but not sure that I would know how to Identify trouble.

I am having so much fun with them that I already want to expand to more hives, maybe to the comercial level. I am exploring getting a use permit to put hives on BLM or Forestry land. I am curious about various techniques. I have seen some info about using smaller cells for brood and larger for drones for mite management? Ahhh so many questions and so little skill at typing.

I am very happy to have found this forum.
Thanks,
 Alfred

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Newbee
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:10:37 pm »
Alfred, welcome to our forum.  You are off to a good start.  Take it slow, learn about the bees, watch the colony, read lots of forum posts, and as many books as you can, if you can, take some courses.  Do not get too gung ho too fast.  I mean, don't go and get many, many hives, until you feel that you can comfortably take care of a few.  It is alot of work yet to come.  Enjoyable work, but you should really get your hands totally wet before you take on too many hives.  Take it slow and easy, just like you should when you work with your bees.  Good luck, wishing you well, have a wonderful day, great life, enjoy your bees. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Newbee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 03:15:29 pm »
Welcome, and congrats! Most places recommend two hives to start, so you have a comparison, and increase your odds of having hives survive the winter. I can clearly see a difference between my two (started this year), but neither seems "weak".
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

anything