Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive construction question  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
Hive construction question
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:53:30 pm »
Aloha, to all this fine morning!

Yeah, another question. I was up reading things in this forum until midnight and still haven't found some answers I'm looking for.

I've looked through some online catalogs and see metal strips that fit onto the rabbet where the frames rest. I don't see those in photos I see posted here. I also see frames that are either flat or tapered up at the ends where the rest on the edge of the rabbet. I came to the conclusion last night that if you don't use the metal strips, you use the tapered ends and if you use the frames with the flat ends you need the metal strips so the propolis can't glue the frames in too securely. Did I come to the right conclusion? :?

Mahalo for your patients.....

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hive construction question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
Metal frame rests are use by some and not by others...it's a preference thing. Most frames have a slight taper to the "ears" but not all...just depends on where you get them from. Both styles are used with or without metal frame rests.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »

Some metal rest are just flat rest, and some have ears for equal spacing of frames,9 in a 10 frame box etc.  I don't think it matters what the frames are on the bees will glue them down.

Joe

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »
I bought some bent metal that was supposed to be used for frames rests.  Complete waste of money IMO.  At least they weren’t very expensive.  All my home made frames have flat ears (since they’re easier to make that way) and my home made frames don’t stick any worse than the commercial ones.  The metal frame rests I ordered were thin flimsy things that weren’t even square.  I dreaded the thought of pulling my hive tool across a metal frame rest to scrap off the propolis.  An image of a chalk board and fingernails came to mind.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:34:45 am »
Thanks to everybody for their thought and experience on this item. One less to buy and install.

Royall

Offline Danpunch

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:41:33 am »
I've used them on older hive boxes when the rabbet joint has started to wear and not support the frames

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 11:02:54 pm »
I think a metal frame rest makes a nifty small hive beetle nursery.

anything