Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Low Activity in one Hive  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Gregs

• New Bee
Low Activity in one Hive
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:12:59 pm »
Hello all,

New here and to beekeeping and looking for reassurance I guess! I picked up two 5-frame nucs a week and a half ago.

One was more active than the other but both had a queen and capped brood. One even had some honey.

Today was the first time I was able to open the hives due to lousy, rainy weather and there was a big difference between the two hives. One was very active - lots of bees on seven frames, lots of comb, etc.

The other looked like it hadn't grown at all. It was still limited to five frames. Although there were bees present and freshly capped brood, it just looked downright still compared to the other.

Do I have anything to worry about yet or what is your best advice? I'm loving this!

Thanks!

Greg - Vermont
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:33:06 pm by Gregs »

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Low Activity in one Hive
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:27:10 pm »
Hi and welcome! I recently started a very similar thread named "How do you know if your hive is failing" in this same topic area. I hope you get some answers, because it surely feels awful to have this sense that something is not quite right and yet have little experience to base it on. Good luck!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:44:59 pm »
please post your location in your profile so we can help you better, someone here might be close to you and can say whats going on with flows. Are you feeding them? nuc's and packages need feeding to draw out comb for stores and feeding brood if you don't have a flow going.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Gregs

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:30:28 pm »
Sorry! I put my location in my profile.

I am feeding but it doesn't look like either hive is taking it - probably because they are sitting in the middle of a few acres of clover which came out two weeks ago. That and acres of buttercups nearby...

Both hives have full sunlight all day but, like I said, the weather has been pretty bad lately.

Thanks!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »
sounds like you just need some good weather, in a pasture of clover they should be booming in no time.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Gregs

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:40:11 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance!