Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey space almost maxed out  (Read 1182 times)

Offline ChrisT

• House Bee
honey space almost maxed out
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:41:58 pm »
Appreciate any advice.... I am in Atlanta.. I went in to prep for a level of honey harvest and within the last month, my bees have filled an entire new level that i added a month ago (thinking that would be the last level that i add) but today I see theyve filled that up and are now building comb between the levels to compensate for more space.

I am amazed that they did this consider all the rain we had recently and the lateness of the year.

My question is should I add a new level? should i remove a few frames and put empty frames in one of the levels? I do not have an extractor to extract honey and then put back the empty comb (i crush and strain). I just dont want to add a level they most likely wont touch and was thinking maybe it was better to insert empty frames in a level.

Last year, my bees didnt build any comb past july. but these bees this year seem to be superheroes. (and its my second year of learning bees)

Thanks

Chris

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: honey space almost maxed out
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:56:35 pm »
Give em a empty super, if they're starting to build too much burr comb, that'll go to waste, add a super and the very least they'll start to draw out comb for next year.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline ChrisT

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »
Ok great. Thanks for answering.

I didnt know if i should keep the hive compact seeing as it is near the end of the season.
I just didnt want to give them too much room if it was going to cause a problem
I knew I needed something to give them to draw on tho

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:39:34 pm »
Goldenrod is just winding down up here in in michigan and I don't know the flows down there, but you should have a couple weeks of comb building left still, like you said they're super heroes this year. You can checker board the frames if your concerned about too much space. 
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

anything