Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How often should I open check the hives?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline samwise

• New Bee
    • The only other big project I'm working on...
How often should I open check the hives?
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:58:07 am »
I have 3 hives... 1st installed from a Package hive April 7th, the other two are from Nuc's April 17th

Just curious how often I should be opening them up & checking frames queen laying etc... I want to make sure I'm on top of it so I know when to add a second hive body so they have room to expand & help prevent a swarm... but at the same time, I don't want to be in there too much where I am causing more damage than good.

I'm currently feeding them sugar water & pollen patties to help.

Thanks in advance for your alls input!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: How often should I open check the hives?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:57:10 pm »
All first timers should check about once a week, always in good weather. It's for the beek more than for the bees, so if you miss a week it doesn't hurt anything. As time goes by, you will slow down and will know when to check them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: How often should I open check the hives?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:46:23 pm »
More often than not the weather determines when to check the hives.  I agree, in the beginning once a week...afternoon, sun bright.  The spring is always time to keep an eye on things.

David