Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Interesting
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »
It's interesting to me that when people learn I'm s beekeeper the first thing they ask is about Colony Collapse Disorder, but the last time anything was posted in this section devoted to CCD was more than a year ago.  Is this a subject of greater import to the media and the casual observer than to thos of us who keep bees?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »
The first thing they ask me is usually "do I get stung?"
  Is this a subject of greater import to the media and the casual observer than to thos of us who keep bees?
Yes it's what makes headlines.

In my opinion the day to day trials and tribulation of beekeeping takes precedent.  Spring build up, raising queens/making splits, when to add supers/harvest honey, when/if to feed for winter, whether to treat(for those that treat), insulation/ventilation for winter are all issues that are more important to me than CCD.  If you are unlucky enough to have it happen to you bees, it is a big deal but it is still a one time deal not a year long problem. 

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
Re: Interesting
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »
If 50% of my two children miss school on a given day it is no big deal. If 50% of all the children at a school miss on a given day it is a big deal.

If 50% of my two bee hives die I am the only one that cares.  If 50% of the commercial beeks hives die it is a big deal and it is the news papers and every one cares.

It all depends on what side of the fence you are on.
jimmy