Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutting handholds in homemade supers  (Read 14670 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Cutting handholds in homemade supers
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:25:04 am »
Hey Everybody,

I was wondering how the nicely curved handles are cut in the sides of homemade supers?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Cutting handholds in homemade supers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:37:08 am »
router

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:46:09 am »
router

...JP

With what bit? and what is the technique?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:53:11 am »
Not sure of the particulars but others that cut out their own handles will chime in soon.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:54:26 am »
1/2in  half round bit, mind you all my bits have built in bearings so I made an oval template to follow then I chisel out the flat part at the top.  Sorry no pics I am at work atm.  Its a bit of work I only did 2 then I just nailed on a small rail  for the handle.

CV Bees
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:33:40 am »
I use a 3/4 straight router bit on a table. I set up two fences one on either side of the bit to guide the box. I leave a 1/2 inch extra space inbetween the fences so that I can run the box up one side and down the other so as to get a 1 inch or so handle with no tapered edge.I thought about changing the bit and doing one side tapered off but this is not real efficient.

I have been looking at other ways to do it. I saw some guy do it with a hand held circular saw. he cut straight in and then sort of scooped it out from there. He made it look easy but it also looked like a dangerous way to use a saw. I soppose that you could do the same sort of thing with a table saw and it might be more stable (safe). I imagine that 'scooping' is hard on the saw.

I gave up on doing nice tapered edjes on the lower side and have been happy with just a groove. Just too much work for all of those boxes. I have a new dado blade for my table saw that I will probably try this summer. I imagine that it will be much more efficient than the router. Many of my boxes end up having wood strip handles which work just as nice.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:08 am »
Wood strips (cleats) are much easier on the finger tips when carrying honey-laden supers and are all I use. That said, commercial beekeepers usually prefer the mortised hand holds because they allow you to stack the boxes tighter together when transporting.

The commercially available hand holds are usually done on a shaper with a large profile cutter. You can come close with a table saw by slowly raising the blade, then tilting it, then raising it more, then tilting it back etc until it "scorps" the mortise. You can also use a dado set, a router, an adze, etc. but the profile won't be quite the same.
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »
I just screw cleats from scrap wood to the sides.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:43 am »
Those nice tapers can be made with a router, You make a jig that has a base at an angle to the piece of wood that is to be machined.
The jig can be a very simple piece of plywood with sides that keep the router where you want it and then just add a block to the base on one side...

Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:12:30 pm »
Here's how I do it...

The template:

The router setup:

And the result:

The template is made out of 1/4" plywood and the standard length cutter is set as deep as it will go in these pictures.  I now have an extra long cutter so I can make the cut as deep as I want.  It isn't exactly like a factory cut hive body, but it's a reasonable facsimile.  It takes about 30 seconds to clamp the template down and make the cut. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:36:36 pm »
Very sharp jig David. I like it. I will try it this summer!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »
I use a molding cutter in my tablesaw -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/

Also,  Jim Hensel was nice enough to share his plans for building a router jig -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/hensel-handle-sloping-pocket-handle-for-hive-boxes/

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:25:46 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:10:48 pm »
Thanks Guys, that's really handy...

Your information will come in really handy Robo... now i just have to find the metric dimensions of the hive bodies!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »
robo,

Are you able to give me anymore information about that molding cutter? I like the looks of the end result.

Kind regards

I use a molding cutter in my tablesaw -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/

Also,  Jim Hensel was nice enough to share his plans for building a router jig -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/hensel-handle-sloping-pocket-handle-for-hive-boxes/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:55 am »
robo,

Are you able to give me anymore information about that molding cutter? I like the looks of the end result.

Kind regards

It is a Craftsman 9-32003

This is not mine, but a picture of one I found on the web.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31:36 pm »
Laferney...your slipping..whenever I asked about your template you charged me a dollar :) As far as the Craftsman molding cutters are concerned, it would probably have to be an Ebay purchase. I dont think that Sears makes them anymore. Or if they do, I just cant find them. I resorted to the dado blade and plunge style.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 02:02:51 pm »
Lots easier if you don't plan to stack close together, Cleats. simple. :)doak

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 02:32:12 pm »
Laferney...your slipping..whenever I asked about your template you charged me a dollar :) As far as the Craftsman molding cutters are concerned, it would probably have to be an Ebay purchase. I dont think that Sears makes them anymore. Or if they do, I just cant find them. I resorted to the dado blade and plunge style.

Hey, that reminds me.  You owe me a dollar! 

Those molding cutters look like something that might involve too much potential liability to sell these days.  Look on ebay.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:45:58 pm »
So what moulding cutter do you use and what is the technique?

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 02:28:13 am »
Thanks Guys, that's really handy...

Your information will come in really handy Robo... now i just have to find the metric dimensions of the hive bodies!
1"=2.54cm.
be happy and make others happy.