Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Day 3 - Swarm still in the neighborhood  (Read 2829 times)

Offline monkeyfish

• New Bee
Day 3 - Swarm still in the neighborhood
« on: August 17, 2004, 10:06:43 pm »
Greetings,

Well, it's been 3 days now and the swarm <see post 'I Blew It!'> is still up there. Now that the rain has stopped and the temp is up, they are starting to wiggle a bit.

Meanwhile, back at the hive - I got in and looks like still quite a good number are remaining. They were non too happy though! Lots of drones.
The deep comb is mostly empty, no sign of any eggs. I saw about 5 or 6 queen cells at frame bottom, but a couple looked empty? <still under construction?>
Super #1 has 8 of 10 frames full of capped honey, deeps have some.

Is the high drone count because they get left behind by the swarm?
Should I harvest the super or leave it ?
Does it sound like a new queen is 'in the works'?
Shouldn't the swarm be movin' on by now?

Forgive all the questions, but this is my first year, first swarm.

Thanks,
~Scott

Anonymous

Day 3 - Swarm still in the neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 09:58:23 am »
Give this method a try that John the bee master decribes in another post.

"I've set up a plastic tarp under the tree branch before strung between ajoining trees with a hole in the center of the tarp with a bucket below. The tarp slopes like a huge funnel to the bucket and I used a weight on a clothes line to toss up and grab the branch.

I and my wife grabbed tight to the rope, jerked it hard and 90% of the bees fell straight down into the tarp and slid into the bucket - I quickly covered it and waited for the airborn and remaining bees to reland on the branch BEFORE repeating the process.

Meanwhile, I dumped the bees into a readied hive and blocked the entrance so they could not escape - I had no idea WHERE the queen was, so I had to assume she was STILL on the branch.

After two more tries I had most all the bees and GOT the queen... After an hour sealed in the hive I opened the entrance and the stragglers made their way to their new hive.

I hope the members describe other methods, including chemical pheromones, swarm traps, etc.. so there are many methods and I'm sure you'll read more here soon".

You may get your bees back this way and expand your yard.
Sorry it took me so long to finally find this and post it.
 :D Al

anything