Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what would you pay  (Read 6841 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: what would you pay
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »
Considering those amounts of rust I'd offer $100 at best.  You're going to have to sand blast those extractor cages before sealing.  With the amount of work that's going to be needed by you and someone with a sandblaster, I'd pass.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 03:07:12 pm »
Im going to agree with the $100 dollars.  I personally would not buy the stuff though.  However looking at pics and seeing stuff in person is all together different.  New unassembled boxes are about $13 and I would maybe give him/her $3-5 a box but you have to remember that they could contain AFB or something.  You will want to scorch the boxes with a torch, then you will have to scrape paint and repaint.  Im not sure but I have heard old extractors like that have lead welds as well which is not safe for food. 

You may just end up buying junk, and wasting your time and money.  You will have to make the call but I think you should just walk away from the deal and be glad you dont have to worry about ending up with thier junk.

HMMM........  I dont know though.  Extractors are not cheap and if you dont mind spending a few day cleaing up all the stuff, I guess maybe it would not be the worst way to start.  I would not give one dollar more than $100.00 though.  Thats my opinion, and again, I cant see it with my own eyes in person so maybe if I were looking at it I would give $150 but I dont think so.  I guess if you buy the stuff for a hundred bucks it cant be a total loss and may end up being worth every penny and then some.  Wish I could look at the stuff with you!!

Good Luck!!

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »
  trade a couple gallons of honey- 8-) RDY-B

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »
Bill, quit mincing words, I think he wants an honest opinion.  :lau:
 :imsorry:
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 08:38:28 pm »
Yes I need honest opinions so I know what to offer the guy. Thank you all Dracono
Dracono

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
chances are, you are not going to need an extractor the first couple of years.  if you really do, you can buy and new, smaller, hand extractor for a not much, and it will probably be plenty for you.  if you feel you need more later, you can watch for another deal.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 10:34:00 pm »
I dunno about you, but I have enough to do without cleaning up ancient crap that I may or may not be able to use.  Pass on the deal.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:18 pm »
the extractor and the square sump look salvageable -except the sump looks like it has a immersion heater and it looks like the bottom has leaked water into the honey compartment -if this is the case it is just a big head ach -the imbeder is junk the galvanized drums-capings drainer is junk -the boxes are fine just scorch them-tell more about the square sump-also i know its a deal maybe-but ask your self if you are willing to settle for this caliber of equipment -there are better deals-RDY-B

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »
After the pics. were viewed it looks like the equipment needs some TLC labor but is all easily usable. I would offer them around $350. and see what their reaction is. The extractor looks like it may be able to handle deep frames, tangentialy but could be made to hold shallower frames to use radialy. Good Luck.

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »
Yes I need honest opinions so I know what to offer the guy. Thank you all Dracono

Dracono, that was an honest opinion.  One mans junk is not always another mans treasure.

I've bought piles used equipment that I thought elbow grease and paint would cure, in the end it cost more than it was worth.
However it did give me a nice warm feeling,,,, when I burned it.  However it is your lesson to learn.

Run, don't walk, run.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 04:28:42 am »
If the owner had taken care of his equipment he could comfortably ask half of new pricing for his equipment.  Looking at the pictures ....he would be lucky to have someone haul off his uncared for junk for free. And if he took no more care of his extraction equipment than his bees I would use the wooden ware as kindling no telling what bad things could be in them.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 02:57:07 pm »
As you can see you can get just about an endless amount of opinions for a question. 

When you look at those boxes in person you need to poke and pry at them.  When the bees glue them together and they weight 80 lbs and you pry them apart, them may just crumble apart. 

I dont know and I figured someone who knows more would have commented on the extractor containing lead.

I think you should find a local club.  You will probably find out that these people are much kinder and willing to help you than you think.  For instance if you found me and I was not to far from you, I would go take a look at the stuff with you.  Maybe Im more friendly and willing to help then the average folk but if you cant get an experienced opinion from eye on the the stuff, I would just walk away.  If you buy the stuff and spend hours upon hours buffing the stuff up only to have buffed up junk you will be very angry about it, believe me.

Like kathy said, theres more deals out there and you really dont need an extractor your first year.  You can crush and strain or make cut comb or use someone else's extractor.  Join a bee club this year.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 05:11:01 pm »
Eventually the analysis paralysis must end and decision must be made.  No matter what though, it'll disagree with some opinions here.

I bought my extractor for $200 and paid $100 for freight to get it here.  It was a used Kelly reversable 2 frame hand crank extractor with the old cast iron valve.  It was in perfect condition and I've used it for 4 years now.  I've greased it, cleaned it, and I'll have to replace the brake (it cost me $15).  If someday I outgrow it I'll sell it for $200 to $300.  It lists for $700.  I'm not selling it now though. 

If you choose to pay $350 for what you're looking at power to you.  If you buy it at all, again power to you.  Personally, I looked methodically for an extractor for over a year and got even more than what I was looking for. :-D  Getting in a rush because you're caught up in the moment is what has people paying more than list for used items on EBay. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »
  Getting in a rush because you're caught up in the moment is what has people paying more than list for used items on EBay. 

Good advice. Look twice, buy once.

I searched for 4 years before I found a used extractor that was big enough, in good enough shape, and cheap enough that I was willing to pull the trigger.

You'll never get burned on a deal that you let pass

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:55 pm »

You'll never get burned on a deal that you let pass

Never heard it put like that, that sounds like a keeper piece of advice.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 07:54:56 pm »
that sounds like a keeper piece of advice.

Thanks Bee Happy

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 03:45:41 am »
Thanks every one for all of your advice I am going to give him a call this weekend and let him know that his equipment is not what I need and also let him know what every one here has had said in my best intrest and I really thank you for all of your opinions and great advice. if all else I may just offer him some honey for his smoker which was the only thing that looked to be in decent shape. I think if he offers it to me I may take it if for free. then it will be worth the elbow grease to clean up.

He did seem to be a motivated seller so I think a gallon of Honey may be worth the trade. The uncapping tank is all surface rust which can come off with coke and a steel wool and a soaking not a hard clean up I figure. but the rest no I think you all are right and that's why I love you all for the honesty and truthful feed back.

Thanks again,
Dracono
Dracono

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 10:10:08 am »
I think you will be happy with your decision.  And if he gives it to you for free or a bottle of honey, then I'd go for it and see if I could salvage the stuff.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything