Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible to have bee "visitors" during Lavender bloom time?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline bee_friendly

• New Bee
Possible to have bee "visitors" during Lavender bloom time?
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:46:50 pm »
I am brand new to this forum -- recommended by a friend over at backyardchicken.com.

My question has to do with traveling bee houses. I have thought for several years that it would be great to have a bee house in my yard for when my 11 huge lavender plants are in bloom.

I don't want to have a permanent bee house and take care of it, but I was thinking lavender honey would be wonderful, and perhaps a visiting keeper could split the honey with me.

Is this even possible?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Possible to have bee "visitors" during Lavender bloom time?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:05:37 pm »
Where would then go when the lavender is done?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee_friendly

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »
I have seen local farms with bee boxes that appeared to be traveling to and from in the back of a truck - I assumed they were put there temporarily, then removed to their "home" wherever that is.  :)

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:35 pm »
I have seen local farms with bee boxes that appeared to be traveling to and from in the back of a truck - I assumed they were put there temporarily, then removed to their "home" wherever that is.  :)

Those farmers are typically paying pollination fees to the beekeeper to get the beehives on their property to pollinate their crops.   Dozens or hundreds or thousands of acres, and the beekeeper keeps any honey that the bees produce while pollinating (IF there is any honey to keep).

While the bees would love your lavender, 11 plants is not going to be enough to inspire a beekeeper to put their girls through the stress of moving (or the beekeeper through the expense and time required) for a short-term, no-fee move.

That's not to say it's not worth talking to a beekeeper though - but they're going to be interested in what other plants are around you in the wider environment.  Did you know the girls fly about 3km from the hive to get to nectar sources quite easily?  That's a lot of space, but it's also an indicator of how much it takes to support a hive.

Offline bee_friendly

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
wow... they do fly a long way!  Oh well, it was just a thought.  I do get a lot of bees on the lavender, just don't know where they are coming from, so can't get any honey!

thanks for your help and the information.   ;)

anything