Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: just starting  (Read 2665 times)

Offline achunter

• House Bee
just starting
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:12:10 pm »
im goin to try and start to bee keep this year and i am making 2 hives out of poplar then painting then...how many pounds of bees will i need to start these 2 hives

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Re: just starting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:35:07 pm »
Some people sell 2lb packages and a queen. I've heard (don't know from experience) that 3lbs+queen are better. Gives you about 3,000 more bees to start with.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:06:18 pm »
Chances are some local bee club knows of or arranges for a truckload of packages.  Whatever they are they are probably appropriate for your climate and situation.  They tend to be 3 or 4 pounds packages usually.  If you can't find the local club then you're stuck with mail order.  Then I prefer a bigger package since the post office is liable to kill half of them anyway...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CapeCod

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:23:14 pm »
Achunter put down where you live in a reply and someone here can better help you.
I too am statring this year with only 1 hive and I am getting a 3lb pack w/Queen that I am picking up On April 14th.
I am picking mine up at a Bee Yard not thur the mail.
If you are in Massachusetts Nebees.com has 2 loads coming from Rossmans in Ga. 1 load April 14th and 1 the 21st

Offline achunter

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
im around harrisburg pa

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 10:41:53 pm »
Bjorn (from Beesource) has an apiary near Harrisburg and sells nucs I believe.  That would be a good start for you.  You might even talk him into shaking out a package later in the year (I'm guessing that the hives are a bit shy on bees early in the Spring).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:38:15 pm »
Just curious why you're making the hives out of poplar?  I've never tried it, but I know poplar is a very poor wood for outdoor use.  It is cheep though.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:43:06 am »
im around harrisburg pa
I recommend you get involved with a local beekeeping group:
http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/Reports/Map/2007%20Contacts%20and%20Inspectors.html
Check for beginning beekeeping classes. Get to know some local beekeepers. Find someone to mentor you.
During these winter months, read, read, read. Get some beekeeping books (check your library). Spend time reading the online bee forums. There are several online tutorials. Be sure to read Michael Bush's site:
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 10:55:57 am »
Achunter.  Welcome to our forum.  YOu are on the right road to get lots of wonderful information and answers to any question that you might need answered, ask any question, never think that a question does not deserve an answer, it does.  We are a forum full of new, beginning beekeepers and beekeepers that have been keeping bees for mostly all of their life.  A great place to spend lots of good quality time, enjoy your visits here, we love and welcome new members.  Have the most wonderful and best of this day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline achunter

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 04:34:05 pm »
wtiger.....1 coat oil base primer 2 coats laytex...dosnt matter what wood ya use that combo will seal anything...my dad paints and is a shop teacher for a living haha