Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: russian queens and italian bees  (Read 1998 times)

Offline knob21

• New Bee
russian queens and italian bees
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:37:48 pm »
since I'm in the snow belt (Buffalo, NY) is it smart to buy Russian queens for my Italian bees? Can this be done, or do i have to start out with Russian packages of bees? :?

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
Re: russian queens and italian bees
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:55:16 pm »
I got a Russian queen with my Italian package bees.  At the time, I was told to make sure to have the bees let her out of the cage to assure acceptance, but she got right to laying and things are fine a bit over a week later.

I've been a little confused about what the actual racial differences are between all these bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:45:23 pm »
Russians, some say are slow to build, and more aggressive, and swarmy, but more mite resistant. Some say they are surprised at how fast they build. Mine did a little of both.

Italians are very common as they are quick to build, usually gentle, and not too swarmy.

Don't know about carniolans, never had them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:02:09 pm »
Corniolans winter a smaller cluster and build faster in spring. They are very gentle.
Any strand will most time accept any kind of queen.
During this time of year all your old bees will be gone in no more than six weeks and you end up with bees from what ever the queen was bred to.

Re guard less, you should always let the bees release the queen.
doak

Offline Gware

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:17:50 am »
A beekeeper where I live had trouble getting the Italians to except a Russian queen. He also said they were quite a bit more aggressive. However it is whatever one desires as far as traits.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:02:05 pm »
Russian queens are very difficult to introduce to a new hive. Purvis bros has given up on them for this reason and others. very few russians are truly all russian anymore. You have to go to specific breeders for this genetic line. I like italians as they are big brood rearers and this can help a newbie overcome some mistakes, they are gentle and great honey producers too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".