Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extractor use  (Read 3537 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
extractor use
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:07:44 am »
I have a huge extractor. I cant remember how many frames it takes but it will do a huge amount of frames. trouble is I only have one small super about full..  can I do just that much. and not lose half the honey trying to get it all out of there? I have no honey and you know how that is I guess. Anyway I have never used it before. It is not installed anywhere yet either,I don't want to destroy my drawn frames and I can't get the honey out without destroying the wax. I tried that with a couple of frames I removed last time. The size of this looks like it would hold about fifty or sixty gallons. I am hoping in the heat of the day( 100F) I should be able to drain most of it. Is that a reasonable assumption? thanx
billiet

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
extractor use
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 09:53:20 am »
That is a big extractor!

I'd say.... even though you will have some loss, due to the wall space on the extractor, I think I'd still go for it. The benefit of giving back the wax is there. And you won't really lose too much. Maybe something like a quart? Michael might know better about how much stays on the walls of those big ones.

Any way you can reach in and scrap the sides with a spatula?

Beth

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
extractor use
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 12:07:21 pm »
Unfortunately Bill that extractor is way too big to extract just one super, you will lose qute a bit of honey, not only on the sides, but on the bottom and near the valve.  But then again, some honey is better than no honey.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
extractor use
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 09:54:34 pm »
I've never even seen one that big myself. Only trying to imagine it. So don't fully listen to me.  :oops:

I tend to squeeze most of my wax for the honey. It's messy, but the bees do alright building the wax back up.

Beth

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
extractor use
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:49:35 pm »
>I tend to squeeze most of my wax for the honey. It's messy, but the bees do alright building the wax back up.

Trust me, extracting is every bit as messy.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bill

• House Bee
extractor use
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 09:06:11 pm »
When I said It would hold about fiftyt gallons I was just comparing it to a fifty five gallon drum, it of course doesn.t hold that much honey I guess. I have the bee escape in and I will try to extract it in a couple of days. I will let you all know how it comes out. how much is in a small full super? it feels pretty heavy.. :D
billiet

Offline Daddy-T

• New Bee
extractor use
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 07:43:39 am »
We bought a Walter Kelly 33 frame extractor this spring, used. It holds 33 Small, Med, or Large frames. It is about the same size as what you are describing. Ours has 3 settings on a manual clutch setup. We will be using it the first time the 9th of July. We have about 8 small honey supers capped to extract. We invited the whole family to help, and we made a picnic out of it. I was surprised, I have 8 siblings and when I started inviting a few of them, I started getting calls from the rest wanting to come out and help. Now they told their friends and some of them are coming too.. Should be fun...........

Tim :D
Pass it on to the kids

Offline bill

• House Bee
extractor use
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:27:02 am »
I have decided to set mine up in the greenhouse and try it . I need to learn how to run it anyway and I do not want to crush my wax up I will post how it turns out
billiet