Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: is this hive worth salvaging?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
is this hive worth salvaging?
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:12:31 pm »
i have a hive that went queenless. i introduced a caged queen & put tape over the candy plug for 5 days. 5 days after the tape came off they were only 1/2 way thru the candy & the bees seemed to be ignoring the new queen so i removed the remaining candy & put the cage back into the hive. a week has passed & now there is no sign of the queen & there is no brood. this late in the season would it be worth trying another queen or should i just combine them with another hive. the population is down & i'd probably have to give them some frames of brood to help the population numbers & to prevent laying workers

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: is this hive worth salvaging?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:15:56 pm »
A frame of open brood will postpone laying workers.  One a week for three weeks will resolve almost any queen issue.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:55 pm »
thanks for that michael. the flow is over here. do most queens slow down there laying now? the brood levels seem low in my other hives.

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:39 pm »
Need more info. How big is the hive? How much food stores do they have?
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »
"" A frame of open brood will postpone laying workers. One a week for three weeks will resolve almost any queen issue.""

That's true. On the other hand, 3 frames of brood and a bit of feed and you can start a nuc. Who needs the queenless hive?
This late in the year, I would shake them out in the bee yard and let them find new homes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 11:32:56 pm »
That's true. On the other hand, 3 frames of brood and a bit of feed and you can start a nuc. Who needs the queenless hive?
This late in the year, I would shake them out in the bee yard and let them find new homes.

Good point there id
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:53:09 am »
I'll second that Iddee.  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:25:30 am »
> do most queens slow down there laying now?

Some races of bees (Carniolans, Russians, Caucasians, feral survivors) tend to shut down brood rearing in a dearth.  Italians tend to raise brood anyway.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:53 am »
this hive was supposedly some sort of carniolan/hygenic mix. i got 3 nucs of these bees in mid may & i'm not impressed with any of them performance-wise. none have built up much so far. my self queened captured swarms are doing much better than these nucs. the hive in question is low on stores & the population is way down. shaking them out & putting a fresh nuc in the same location sounds like a better plan.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »
i came up with another possible option today. I'm doing a hogan bee removal from a brick house. checked it today & the box was loaded with bees & brood. so either the bees made a supercedure queen from a frame of brood that i gave them or the brood drew out the hive's queen. today i pulled out 5 frames of bees with some brood. i left a frame of brood in the box & added 5 frames of drawn comb. i put the trapped bees in a nuc & put the nuc on top of the failing hive. I'll check it in a couple of days To see whether i have the queen. if i do I'll put the nuc in deep hive body & do a newspaper combine on the weak hive. sound feasible?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »
Five frames with a "maybe" queen and 15 frames of empty comb? Sounds like a great SHB and wax moth incubator. I would just start a nuc with the five frames and shake out the old bees in front of it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »
well it's no longer a maybe. there is a queen.  i installed the cardboard portable nuc of bees from the trap into a nuc & put it on top of the failing hive. it has a full frame of brood from the trap. i rubber banded some natural comb with brood & honey into an empty frame & installed that with 3 frames of drawn comb. while doing all this i looked at my left sleeve & there was the queen!! i grabbed her & put her in the nuc. in a few days depending on the weather i'll grab more bees from the trap & put a 2nd story on the nuc. at the time i'll shake out the failing hive.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 05:12:50 pm »
well the bees decided for me. i'd put the nuc with the trapped bees & queen on top of the queenless hive. personal circumstances delayed the plans that i'd made to shake out the queenless hive. went thru the hives here at home this morning & found the nuc abandoned & several frames of brood in the now not queenless hive. it seems the trapped bees & queen moved into the hive.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:36:10 am »
this hive was supposedly some sort of carniolan/hygenic mix. i got 3 nucs of these bees in mid may & i'm not impressed with any of them performance-wise. none have built up much so far. my self queened captured swarms are doing much better than these nucs. the hive in question is low on stores & the population is way down. shaking them out & putting a fresh nuc in the same location sounds like a better plan.
> do most queens slow down there laying now?

Some races of bees (Carniolans, Russians, Caucasians, feral survivors) tend to shut down brood rearing in a dearth.  Italians tend to raise brood anyway.

My finding is that Russian, Carniolan, Caucasian, Feral, and Minnesota Hygienic have a tendency to use periodic brood dearths as a way of conserving food resources as well as control Varroa mites.  If you have an non-Italian hive it may not be queenless but just having a queen on hiatus.

Hives usually start shutting down brood rearing by mid-July tapering off and backfilling the brood chamber for winter stores.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!