Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey stores this late in the season?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Honey stores this late in the season?
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
My first year keeping bees . I live in South Carolina and the flow is over according to the everybody I talk to. But about 10 days ago I went into my hives and not much honey stored at all in one of my hives and just a little in the other hive. I even fed them a quart of sugar water because there was so little honey. Today I went in and BAM, honey everywhere, some caped, in the top medium #3 (I use all mediums). So I ran and got another supper and put it on.

Very happy to see this and hope the honey will take them to the fall flow without me feeding. Is it odd for this to happen this time of the year? We have had cool weather with some rain this year but the cool will go away by the weekend.

Danny

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Honey stores this late in the season?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
Weeds are still blooming here.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:33:35 pm »

Down here some of the shoemake is still blooming, black eyed susans, and several other wild flowers.  I am not sure how much they may get from them but the Crepe myrthel, mimosa and saw some big bush next to a stream last week that was covered with white flowers.

Joe

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:07:59 am »
Fascinating to speculate on what they're finding and where they're finding it. Ours were bringing pollen in very early this year, when it still seemed like deep winter to me. No clue where they were getting it.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:11 pm »
Well I have not learned what bees like but we have Crepe myrthel blooming like crazy along with little white asters, sneezeweed, mullein and lots I can't identify. Here's a pic of pollen comming in last week.

anything