Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member from Snowy Oklahoma Intro  (Read 1328 times)

Offline DarbCal

• Brood
New Member from Snowy Oklahoma Intro
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:05:49 pm »
Hello all, I'm Cal.  An educator in northeast Oklahoma with a hobby of beekeeping.  I only recently got back into beekeeping.  When I was a mere lad, my Dad had bees and I enjoyed helping him whenever we were able to.  I fondly remember sitting in the pickup with my brother while my Dad checked the hives.   By the time I reached high school, my Dad had stopped keeping bees. So, purchase a couple packages of bees are kept bees until I went to college.  I learned a lot but wasn't very successful with it.  Fast forward a couple of decades.  In '09, I build two top bar hives and purchased two packages of bees.   Currently, I only have one hive going, but planning on getting a few more. Also, I am going to go to Langstroth hives (which is what I used during high school).

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: New Member from Snowy Oklahoma Intro
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:26:04 pm »
Welcome.   When I was a young lad, my old man had me out there in the summer sun with a hot flannel shirt on helping (I wanted to help).   My job was to run the smoker.   Bees stick with you I guess. 

Offline DarbCal

• Brood
Re: New Member from Snowy Oklahoma Intro
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:24 pm »
They did stick with me.  I wanted to get started again for years, but always too busy or too little money.   I finally decided that if it was important enough to me then I should make the time.

anything