Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3rd Week Hive Inspection  (Read 1831 times)

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
3rd Week Hive Inspection
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:03:48 am »
Checked both of my hives yesterday and all seemed to be well! I was able to locate the queen in one. 3-4 dead SHB in the beetle traps ( I think that is good, right?). I am attempting to post a photo of one of the frames.  ( I am so way new at this)  :roll

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do y'all think it looks ok?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:38:04 am by sweet new-bee »
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: 3rd Week Hive Inspection
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:06:15 am »
looks fine to me.  I love the way brood looks on fresh comb.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »
looks great
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »
very nice.  how many frames look like that and how many boxes do you have for brood?  have you honey supered yet in your area....or are you going to?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:10:29 pm »
very nice.  how many frames look like that and how many boxes do you have for brood?  have you honey supered yet in your area....or are you going to?

Hives are 8 frame with mediums. I added a second brood chamber yesterday on 1 of the hives. It had about 3 maybe 3 1/2 frames of brood (front and back) the remaining frames were drawn out with a good bit of honey? sugar water?  Not really sure about that. It tasted like honey but really clear.  The other hive had about as many frames of brood, but still 1 1/2 frames that have not been drawn. So I held off adding the second box until next week or so. ( I did add the pail feeder inside the top box in hopes that it will help speed them along.

~Angie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »
rotate the undrawn frames toward the middle.  you can place them on either side of the brood.  watch the one that you did not add to, because you will have a hatching out soon and numbers will go up quickly.  if the queen becomes crowded by brood or food, you may encourage them to swarm.

what the store is honey to them.  if you are feeding, it is honey made from syrup.  that's not the stuff you want to collect for you. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »
rotate the undrawn frames toward the middle.  you can place them on either side of the brood.  watch the one that you did not add to, because you will have a hatching out soon and numbers will go up quickly.  if the queen becomes crowded by brood or food, you may encourage them to swarm.

what the store is honey to them.  if you are feeding, it is honey made from syrup.  that's not the stuff you want to collect for you. 

Thanks Kathyp, I will work on that tomorrow! I wasn't counting on getting any honey this year. I want to make sure they have plenty to feed on.
Any advice that you or others can offer is SO greatly appreciated.  Thank You!:)

~Angie

~Erma Bombeck