Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you use free-hanging frames? How do you cut a rabbet?  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Do you use free-hanging frames? How do you cut a rabbet?
« on: December 24, 2005, 06:49:58 pm »
Seeing how rappidly I'm expanding my apiary/ies I'm debating about an investment in a table saw.  I've heard that rabbets/frame rests (whatever you like to call them) can be cut with a router (which I have).  I was wonder what special action/bit is required to create a rabbet/frame rest.  Also, I"m beginging to like the idea of using a free hanging frame in my supers because given there's no self spacer to get in the way, I wouldn't have so much difficulty trying to cut off the cappings.  Obviously, I'd get some of those nine frame spacers from Dadant.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:15:33 pm »
>Seeing how rappidly I'm expanding my apiary/ies I'm debating about an investment in a table saw.

Best investment you'll make for beekeeping.  I use mine a lot.

> I've heard that rabbets/frame rests (whatever you like to call them) can be cut with a router (which I have).

You CAN cut them with a router.  Last time I did was 1974.  You can also cut them with two cuts on a table saw or one cut with a dado blade on a table saw.

> I was wonder what special action/bit is required to create a rabbet/frame rest.

When I did it last (31 years ago) it seems like the bit had a stop and was made to go in 3/8".  I just adjusted the depth to 5/8" and ran it across the end.  But that WAS 31 years ago.  I might be a little fuzzy on it.

> Also, I"m beginging to like the idea of using a free hanging frame in my supers because given there's no self spacer to get in the way, I wouldn't have so much difficulty trying to cut off the cappings. Obviously, I'd get some of those nine frame spacers from Dadant.

What do you mean by free hanging?  Aren't they all?  You just mean spacerless?  Spacers are nice, but the PermaComb doesn't have any built in and I mix them up all  the time so I don't use any spacers with them.  You can make or buy a "comb" that will let you space them.  Maxant makes them out of steel.  I've made them with dowels and a one by two with the dowels for teeth.  Make a hole every 1 1/4" and put a 1/4" dowel in and you'll have an 11 frame spacer.  Make one every 1 3/8" and use a 3/8" dowel and you'll have a ten frame spacer.  Make one every 1 1/2" and use a 1/2" dowel and you'll have a 9 frame spacer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 09:03:46 am »
Mine are spacerless.  Granted by about month 2 they are all glued to the box and to each other.  

I use a spacing comb in my supers for the 9 frame spacing.

anything