Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic vapor  (Read 5400 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Oxalic vapor
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:57:54 pm »
Does the oxalic acid vapor treat tracheal mites like the formic acid claims

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Oxalic vapor
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:39 pm »
I would feel pretty safe making that assumption, but I don't know for sure that it's a fact.  I have not seen any specific research to that effect.  But who want's to treat for tracheal mites and perpetuate susceptible bees?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:25 am »
Thank you!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:47 pm »
Danno, I am not too sure that O.A. would treat tracheal mites.  I know that Formic Acid is purported to kill tracheal mites though.  I know that these two, O.A. and F.A. are related, so perhaps.  Do you have time to read this that I googled for you?  I don't right now, but it has some good information that I quickly looked at.  I will read it at some point in time.  From one O.A. vapourizer to another, smiling.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/formic/default.htm
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »
I have never been able to find a definitive claim that oxalic acid kills tracheal mites,  but I also agree with Michael about perpetuating susceptible bees.    Just stick with OA and you'll be good in the long run.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:58:12 pm »
but remember, OA is not approved for use in the US.  don't know if that has any impact on marketing honey?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:29 pm »
Neither is powdered sugar
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:22:00 pm »
maybe i should have put that as a question :-)

does the use of an unapproved treatment such as OA, have any implications when you sell your honey?

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:47:03 pm »
maybe i should have put that as a question :-)

does the use of an unapproved treatment such as OA, have any implications when you sell your honey?

the research that i have done says no.  Its a organic acid and is aready present in the hives.  OA is widely used in Canada and europe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:15 pm »
The difference in the amount in the honey if you treat with oxalic or don't is undetectable.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 02:34:51 pm »
Hi,
Slight change in topic, but is there any major difference using the vapor method, with a slated rack on or off.  I would really like to leave it on while doing the treatment. Opinions?

Cheers,
Patrick

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:09:02 am »
the hive need to be sealed for 10 minutes.  Enterances, screened bottom board and major cracks.   The rack wouldn't matter as long as the rest is closed

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »
 When you register your hives with the State of Fl., you get a set of instructions on using a sugar shake on bees.
 That makes me think it is approved in Fl.. My inspector told me if I used something besides the approved stuff for mites, don't keep it in my honey house so he couldn't see it. I wonder what he was speaking of?
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:44:21 pm »
When you vaporize Oxcilac -if you over heat and pass sublimation point -the vapors turn into formic acid-so it is possible to try and treat with Oxcilac and end up treating with formic anyway -and we already know formic kills T mites-controlling heat is key when you are vaporizing acid-and is hard to do with home made vaporizers-RDY-B

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:08:18 am »
When you register your hives with the State of Fl., you get a set of instructions on using a sugar shake on bees.
 That makes me think it is approved in Fl.. My inspector told me if I used something besides the approved stuff for mites, don't keep it in my honey house so he couldn't see it. I wonder what he was speaking of?

probably tactik