Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weak Hive Making Queen Cells.  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Ibmerlin

• New Bee
Weak Hive Making Queen Cells.
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:13:36 pm »
I am a first year beekeeper. I started noticing that my "borg" hive was starting to lag behind my "alpha" hive about a month ago. The "Alpha is doing great and I have started to add honey supers to it. I noticed that "Borg" seemed to have much less traffic flying in and out and many more drones flying than the other hive. I use 8 frame equipment and added the third box three weeks ago.

Today I opened the hives and the third box had hardly been worked and then found 3 peanuts on the bottom box. I could not find the queen but there was brood in all forms of development. see pic:

So I believe that the queen is still here but is weak and was not fertilized well.

Here are pics of the queens cells.

and

I had just ordered an extra hive from Brushy and if it gets here in time will try to somehow split the queens.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on what my best coarse of action should be next I would appreciate  it.

Thank you in advance
Merlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Weak Hive Making Queen Cells.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:06:00 pm »
I would take a frame from your good hive that has eggs and/or very young larvae, ones that form a "C" but are very small.(they can't be more than 3-4 days old, 3 is best)

If the bees trying to supersede the "borg" hive chose larvae that were too old, the queens won't amount to much. By giving them eggs/very young larvae they can make a new queen for your borg hive.

Good luck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:35 pm »
JP, why would you think the cells were from old larva? The cells are capped, meaning they are at least 10 days old, and are in supercedure position. There are very young larva in the first photo. Possibly an egg or two. The cells were almost assuredly made from fresh eggs laid in the queen cups. The hive may be weak enough to need a boost with a frame of young bees while the new queen mates, but not for a new queen from the alpha hive larva.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:01:53 pm »
I don't know what they made those queen cells from Iddee, but just as a precaution against getting a dud, I didn't think it a bad idea to give them something good to work with.

Was just thinking better safe than sorry.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Ibmerlin

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:06:45 pm »
Seeing that there are brood of all ages I believe that the queen is still alive but I feel she was not fertilized well.  I was hoping that I could use the queens that are about to hatch if at all possible. I am new and not sure how to go about it or even if it is possible but if I could find the old marked queen and remove her( or can I just let the bees do it after the new queen hatches) and let the new queen have that hive and then remove one of the other queen cells to a new hive that has brood from my other two old hives. This way I might end up with 3 hives. Does this sound do-able or is there a better way to go about it.

Thank you for the help
Merlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »
>JP, why would you think the cells were from old larva? The cells are capped, meaning they are at least 10 days old, and are in supercedure position.

If larvae were chosen and older than recommended for quality queens is it not possible for them to be capped before 10 days?

From Beeworks queen video paraphrased  "after split is made do an inspection on day four. Destroy any queen cells capped at this time because the larvae they were made from did not receive the proper feeding and will become an inferior queen"

Help me out here folks --- can or can a cell not be capped before ten days?

John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »
I've seen queen cells drawn and capped in 2 and a half days.

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:25:58 pm »
In this case, as they did have day old larva available, do you think they might use 4 or 5 day old larva to make queen cells?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:53:44 am »
I get the point id ;)
John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 01:28:41 am »
In this case, as they did have day old larva available, do you think they might use 4 or 5 day old larva to make queen cells?

Iddee, I looked at the pictures, the larvae I see are much too old to make queens from. They probably made those queen cells from appropriately aged larvae, but my point was, what if they didn't?

...JP