Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My First Swarm 2013  (Read 1286 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
My First Swarm 2013
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:39:03 pm »

Was in the process of removing an open hive in a live oak tree and got the cal of this swarm 5 mins away and took me only 15 min to shake and bake.  :-D Not a big one but one as well. Got nine more to catch up with Bailey.  :)
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Re: My First Swarm 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:06:49 pm »
Congrads Blanc.

I really want to get  just one. LOL

I guess first I need to get my hives. They ship Monday.  Can't wait.  :)

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:22:07 pm »
Way to go blanc. Great job.
Now go get some more:)
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »
Good going Blanc.  Haven't seen one yet here this year, several last year.  Those down low on a limb are good ones.  Had four last year up 10 to 15 ft. not quite as easy but not hard.  In the tallest one couldn't get a ladder there, so threw a rope over limb and shook em down.  Good catching to all

Joe

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:39:58 am »
Good going Blanc.  Haven't seen one yet here this year, several last year.  Those down low on a limb are good ones.  Had four last year up 10 to 15 ft. not quite as easy but not hard.  In the tallest one couldn't get a ladder there, so threw a rope over limb and shook em down.  Good catching to all

Joe

This one was about 3 ft high and just got there that morning and was looking for my box to settle in.  :-D Got to love it. My first swarm last year was the same size and I put it in a top bar hive before I adapted to langs and they are still there. Hive is almost 4 ft wide and plan on making some nucs from it this week coming.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.