Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weak Hives - Fall is almost Here!!!  (Read 2442 times)

Offline joeeagle66

• New Bee
Weak Hives - Fall is almost Here!!!
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:22:39 pm »
Two of my hives seem to be struggling.  They have plenty of bees, few drones, but they have not drawn out any comb on any of the brood supers since I put them there in April.  The original four frames from the nucs are the only frames that are getting any action.  They made honey above the excluder in pretty good quantities, but have put none in the brood supers.  I am now treating them for mites and nosema and I'm feeding them like crazy with sugar water and honey bee healthy, but I wonder how to encourage them to spend the next couple of months getting ready for winter?  What should I do?  Thanks for any help, Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Weak Hives - Fall is almost Here!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:51 pm »
You feed 1 to 1 syrup to grow the bees in numbers.  What are you feeding.   We need your location.   Do you still have the honey supers on while treating the mites?  Fall feeding is 2 to 1 syrup for storage without growth.   

Offline joeeagle66

• New Bee
Re: Weak Hives - Fall is almost Here!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:22:13 am »
There are only the two brood supers on at this point, no honey supers.  I'm feeding syrup at 1:1 with Honey Bee Healthy and fumagilin.  I've also added Api Var Life on top of the top super.  I'm just concerned on how to encourage them to stock up for winter.  They'll starve based on what they have stored to date.  I plan on feeding like crazy for now and probably adding some bee candy for the winter, but I'm just worried about them starving at some point this winter. 

anything