Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chemical clearing for hive removal from tree - suppliers?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Chemical clearing for hive removal from tree - suppliers?
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:02:02 pm »
G'day Guys and Girls,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any suppliers of Bee Quick/Bee Go or its equivalent here in Australia? I've got a hive in a tree that i'm working on doing a trapout on at the moment. The tree lopper wants it gone ASAP! so i have to expedite things a little... I was thinking a few drops of product in the base of the tree (there was an entrance in the bottom) and they will, hopefully, move up in to the box that i have placed on top

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Chemical clearing for hive removal from tree - suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:04:36 pm »
Stink ain't going to get the queen or the young out of the hive.    If he wants it going asap, let him cut it and you do the cut out.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »
I want to get the majority of the bees out and then i can figure out the rest from there - i'm hoping (maybe wishful thinking) that the Queen has moved in to the box that i put on top

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »
Is she laying eggs in there?   Remember, bees store honey over the eggs.  Eggs will be on the bottom of the hive.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:30:32 pm »
I haven't been back to inspect yet to see where things are at...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:33 pm »
Bee Go is Butyric acid.
Best I can tell from the smell and similar reaction of the bees, Bee Quick is Benzaldehyde.  Both should be available from a chemical place.

Bee Go smells like vomit.
Bee Quick smells like almond extract.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:34 pm »
Hey OzBuzz, if you can onto some Bee Quick or Bee Go let me know as I am keen to buy some.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:27:37 am »
If you go back through very old journals or old bee reference books you will find the formulas, in imperial but they are easy enough to convert to metric. I had an old friend that use to make up some amazing concoctions for bees and associated issues. Just about all the stuff he mixed either came from the stock & grain, grocer and or chemical shops.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:18 am »
I want to get the majority of the bees out and then i can figure out the rest from there - i'm hoping (maybe wishful thinking) that the Queen has moved in to the box that i put on top

Don't get your hopes too high, I assure you will be disappointed in both your desires.   Get your plan B ready now, you will need it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:55:42 pm »

Don't get your hopes too high, I assure you will be disappointed in both your desires.   Get your plan B ready now, you will need it.

Hahhah thanks Robo! so what's my plan B :)

Seriously though i know the only way i'm going to get them out is to cut the side of the tree open